Last day in Rome

Trastevere Travel Blog

square in Trastavere
What an awesome day. I got home at 10pm yesterday from Capri and managed to fall asleep immediately, waking up at 8:10am! That's the latest I've woken up since I've been in Europe! The lack of napping during the very fun and stimulating day in Capri made me knock out like a light. Quickly got ready and took the metro with all my luggage back to Ale's house at around 10am. Boy was I surprised when I knocked on the door and Ale's husband Mahimbo answered!! It was such a delight to see him as I didn't think our trips to Rome would overlap at all! After lots of talking and getting used to his British accent and getting used to Ale's Italian accent and finally coming to some sort of understanding, we proceeded to have a lovely afternoon in Trastavere.

Trastavere, according to Ale, used to be an old town which was very poor, but has recently been gentrified and lots of hip people now live there. The buildings are very old, there are a lot of tree lined streets and tons and tons of cafes and shops. We had lunch at a wonderful restaurant that Ale and Mahimbo went to when they first met and were together. We had some amazing food, and I learned that Saltimbocca isn't very good and that Panicotta is excellent! We drank wine, ate great food and took turns walking the baby about

Mahimbo and I talked about his post in Central African Republic and about international affairs. Apparently his office is really hurting for an economics person and I asked if I could come and volunteer and he said OF COURSE and that UNICEF would be able to fly me out and house me while I was there! SCORE!!! I can't even describe how much this sends me to cloud 9. I have been very happy with my time here in Rome, but Mahimbo has a way of integrating everyone's interests and he eats, lives and breathes UNICEF and international development. I'm so excited I'm going to go home and try and save as much vacation as possible for a short stint at his office. WOOHOO!

the family portrait!