modern metropolis

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

41 stories high

Do you know that the Kuala Lumphur airport is 70 kms outside the city?  It is.  Just a little travel tip for those of you who thought ou could hop out and do some sightseeing on your layover.

KL, as it is known, is a lovely city.  The city center is completely planned and, after a week of waking up early for traveling, we wanted nothing more than some luxury.  We met up with our friends, the ones who climbed the mountain and went scuba diving, exchanged stories and relaxed.  Our friend's mother arranged for us to stay at the Marriott Rennaisance hotel with her frequent flyer points.  SO NICE.  An actualy hotel with room service, a pool, a spa...wow, we were so spoiled for two days.

In KL we went to the Petrons Twin Towers, the tallest twin towers in the world.

cool stuff, huh?
  You can take the high speed elevator to the 41st floor skybridge and look out over the city.  It's unnerving being that high but it's a great view.  Then we all went to the mall because there is a Chilis restaurant in KL.

For you that don't know, Chilis is this chain restaurant with huge serving sizes, unending tostada chips and salasa and a killer margarhita.  It was a great and disgusting dinner...and the margarhitas were 40% off so we stayed there for awhile.

KL was a the perfect way to end the trip.  And I'm glad that we got seperated from our friends.  I loved the wildlife and the jungle.  And I loved being able to spend a whole week alone with my boyfriend (as a Peace Corps volunteer our visits are the sporadic weekend here and there).

Malaysia is a beautiful country with incredibly friendly people.  The food is an amazing mix of anything Asian you could hope for and the service is wonderful.  Plus, the population as a whole speaks good English, making traveling very easy.  It's more expensive than the other SE Asian countries but I think it's totally worth it.  If I can, I will be going back soon.

together at last