Morning on the River

Kinabatangan Travel Blog

sunrise

We awoke at 530am for coffee and tea.  The guides said that morning was a better time due to animals feeding.  At least it wasn't raining!

The sunrise was just stunning.  I sat with my tea and watched as it changed colors- every shade of red you can imagine.  The morning was chilly but comfortable.  The boats left around 610am...and the light was so much better for seeing the animals (and for pictures.)

Our morning guise was much better than the previous days (the previous one really wanted to see those elephants and we missed out on some of the other wildlife).  He handled the boat so well, sneaking up on the animals resting in the trees or on the riverbank.  We sat for so long looking at them and watching thier lives.

Long tailed Macaques- a whole troupe in a tree; one Probiscus monkey- he was very far off but still as ugly as ever; Storkbilled Kingfisher- beautiful bird with a lovely warbling song; more Rhino hornbills; Eagles building nests; Bornean Gibbons- these are known as 'lesser apes' and are amazing in the trees; a Monitor lizard resting on a tree branch; baby Python resting in a tree; Crocodile- at least 3 meters long and not more than 3 meters from our boat.

storkbilled kingfisher
  I was a more than a little scared.

We left the river after breakfast (told you I was on an accelerated schedule) for Sandakan.  Because of all the rain the day before the road was...well, try to imagine a rollercoaster that is coated with mud and there are large tractors trailers coming at your vehicle from the other direction.  Crazy, crazy stuff.

bornean gibbons
bornean gibbons
monitor lizard
monitor lizard
big crocodile
big crocodile
theres a macaque in the tree; the…
there's a macaque in the tree; th…
Kinabatangan