flexibility is the name of the game

Bangkok Travel Blog

This trip was organized more than 10 months ago thanks to AirAsia having a wonderful sale- free tickets, all we had to do was pay the taxes and fuel charges.  It ended up being $50 per person for the entire weeks flights!  Awesome...

There were 4 of us volunteers going on this trip.  We picked the state of Sabah because two of our friends wanted to climb Mt. Kinabalu first and then we would all go scuba diving in some of the best waters in the world.  Our friends left 2 days before us, Ryan and I were to join them when we arrived.

Well, being the youngsters we are...the climbers didn't book thier guide or mountain permits ahead of time.  Which means this:  we arrived in Bangkok (the day before leaving for Malaysia) and recieved this email: "We can't get our mountain permits for a few days.  So we decided to do scuba first and then climb the mountain in a few days.  Which means...that we will be climbing the mountain when you arrive here and you'll miss the scuba diving.  We're sorry."

I was pretty annoyed at first but then I realized I had less than 24 hours to plan what to do with my week.  So I went to the bookstore, picket up the Malaysia Lonely Planet, sat down with my notebook and figured out a plan.  And...it worked out perfectly!

alexchan says:
Don't forget to go to Sarawak state in Borneo next time. That's where I'm from :-)
Posted on: Sep 20, 2006