Lazy (girly) day

Cairns Travel Blog

Rachel sleeping like a baby

After dragging ourselves out of bed, Rachel and I checked out of the Serpent Hostel just before 10am. While we were loading our luggage back into the car, we tried to figure out what we should do to kill time before we could check in at the hotel in Kuranda after 3pm. We agreed it would be a very relaxed day, since we needed to get used to the heat and humidity and we also didn’t want to be tired for the wedding tomorrow.

Our first, and unanimous, decision was to go and get some breakfast. We both felt like a nice big fry up, but after being outside for all of about, oh, say 15 minutes, the heat and humidity quickly changed our minds. We wandered up and down a few streets before deciding on the imaginatively titled Coffee Café on Lake Street.

our means of transport for the trip
After wolfing down our ham, cheese and tomato omelettes and juices, we slowly made our way back to Cairns Central Shopping Centre (where we’d parked the car), ducking in and out of shops on the way.

After a reasonably thorough examination of the shopping centre, we skipped lunch and grabbed a little snack at Gloria Jeans instead. Braving the heat again, we headed out of the shopping centre and went in the opposite direction to where we went this morning. Rachel was still looking for a nice little handbag for the wedding and I hadn’t found any accessories to go with my outfit.

We’d given up finding Rachel’s bag and were walking back to the car when I spied a gorgeous little shop selling handmade jewellery and the like. In the window, there was a beautiful display of necklaces and earrings made from glass beads and silver.

Serpent Hostel - twin room
And in the middle of that display was my necklace – it was perfect. A lariat made from multicoloured Murano glass beads with sterling silver spacers. The red ones matched my dress, and the green and blue ones matched the accents on my shoes. I ignored the little voice in my head telling me it was probably going to be expensive and walked in. I tried it on and Rachel thought it was beautifully perfect too. It wasn’t ridiculously expensive, but it certainly wasn’t cheap - $185. Then I remembered how I’d balked at buying another gorgeous Murano glass necklace in Venice and the regret I’d felt after I’d left, because I didn’t find anything else close to it during the rest of my trip in Italy. So I bought it and some matching drop earrings, all up $200.

Cairns