Daintree Ice Cream Company

Daintree Travel Blog

As we left the Daintree Rainforest Discovery Centre, the lovely staff at the cafe told us about an ice cream place that was on the way to Cape Tribulation. Rachel and I, never ones to pass up an opportunity for frozen, and sweetened dairy products, decided to call in and sample their wares.

All the ice creams are made from tropical fruits grown in the company's own orchards. The flavours available during the year vary as only in season fruit is used for the ice cream. The available flavours change every day and are displayed clearly on the board.

The way this little boutique ice creamery operates is a bit different from your usual ice cream shop. Firstly, the ice cream is primarily sold as a fixed sample pack - four flavours in a rather large cup for $5. Pretty good value, really.

Our four flavours for the day were prune, apricot, coconut and wattleseed. Rachel and I both don't like prunes, and I had no idea what wattleseed tasted like. So I managed to convince to lady behind the counter to sell us two cups with two flavours of our choosing (which was passionfruit and coconut). I was happy to pay the same price as the sample cup - I just didn't want to be wasteful by throwing most of the sample cup away. But she only charged us $1.50 a scoop :)
vances says:
......prune ?????

-----> e-w-w-w-w-w !!!
Posted on: Jan 04, 2007
Fortunately, since Rachel and I didn't have much to drink at the wedding last night, it was reasonably easy to get out of bed at 8am :) We managed to pack our things up quite quickly, as we'd prepared most of our packing yesterday before leaving for the wedding, and made it to breakfast just before 9.

After eating so much the night before, we decided to just stick to the 'continental' breakfast included with our room rather than ordering a fry up from the menu. It was just as well because after a few tiny pastries and a couple of slices of fruit, I was done! Luckily, Nadine and Ben came to breakfast just as Rachel and I were getting ready to leave so we were able to say goodbye before hitting the road. They thought we were crazy to be tackling the Daintree and Cape Tribulation in a day, as it's about a 2.5-3 hour drive each way. It didn't bother us much because we're on holidays and were planning to stop a few times on the way.
Daintree