So, I'm in Cairns...

Cairns Travel Blog

...and it's lovely and warm :)

Rachel and I arrived at Cairns 'International' Airport at 10.45pm and picked up our means of transport for the next 5 days - a Nissan Tiida (the sedan one, too!). Big thumbs up to Red Spot Rentals, beats the crappy tiny Getzs all the other places were offering for the same money. And, as I found out from the very friendly guy behind the counter, Red Spot are the only Australian-owned car rental company at Cairns Airport - felt good to be supporting an Aussie company, as unintentioned as it was :P

Anyways, it was a fairly short and uneventful trip to the Serpent Hostel, where we're staying before heading off to Kuranda tomorrow for Nadine and Ben's wedding on Saturday. Be warned though - their so-called '24 hour reception' is anything but. Turns out that, after about 10pm, the reception person and the shuttle bus driver are one and the same. We were waiting for almost an hour before someone came that could check us into our room! By the time we finally got into our room - which was reasonably clean but smelt quite mouldy - Rache and I were so ready to crash.

In my case, it's to take an extra two days off on either side and hotfoot it up to Cairns! I've always wanted to go and, when the opportunity came up for me to be a good friend's 'plus one' at a wedding, I jumped at the chance.

So, at 7.35pm tonight, Rachel and I will be winging our way to Cairns on the red kangaroo. It'll be a bit of a long day, because we'll both be working all day before we head north. However, I'll have to be the most awake at the end of the flight - I'm the one who gets to drive the rental car for the next 5 days.

We'll be staying at the Serpent Hostel in Cairns for the night before we head off to Kuranda on Friday afternoon.
photo by: Katie_Kate