Whatamore Steps, Hill O'Many Stanes, Lybster, Grey Cairns of Camster and Tulloch Castle

Dingwall Travel Blog

Scottish "Ferry men"

FRIDAY: DAY 29:  We were up at 8am for breakfast which included porridge, egg, mushrooms, toast, grapefruit & banana. We talked with our B&B hostess before we set off as she showed us her cats. We drove back to STROMNESS to catch the ferry back to SCRABSTER on mainland Scotland. I was hoping to get better pictures of the OLD MAN of HOY but wouldn't you know the only time it was foggy was when we were passing by it! Oh well! We went back to THURSO and exchanged money at the bank, shopped for crisps at  the store and went to the TIC. It was a WARM, BRIGHT and SUNNY day! I could not believe that we had better weather in the north and of course for our last few days.

Stromness from the ferry
I was thankful for it. We took the A9 and A99 to ULBSTER and did the WHATAMORE STEPS which I had read about in my Lonely Planet Guide. There were 318 steps that led down to an Alcove which was scenic and peaceful. We stayed here for a little while before the climb back up. There were many birds here.

Then we saw the HILL O' MANY STANES which included over 200 stones in a fan shaped pattern in 22 rows. It seems to have been done in 1900BC for observations of the moon. These were small stones not like the ones on Orkney. We stopped in a village called LYBSTER to see the WATERLINE VISITOR CENTRE that had displays about the history, flora and geology of Lybster. Upstairs, there was a boat in the making. We drove down a steep hill to get to the harbour where there was a small lighthouse. After here we explored our last archeological site, the GREY CAIRNS OF CAMSTER.

View from the ferry
We had seen these once before in 1999 but I was too chicken to crawl in them in front of everybody! So this time we were the only people here & we were partially standing to go through  the 1st one which was round & could stand up once we reached the end which is 10 feet tall. It was cool inside as these are made of stone. The other one was long & had 2 entrances We both went through the 1st entrance & got our pictures taken. Suzi wouldn't go through the 2nd entrance so I did & it was very narrow. At one point I thought I was going to get stuck! lol How embarrassing would that be! I made it through some how & it was a smaller area at the end than the others. I had visions of Suzi calling my family to tell them I was stuck in a stone passageway!

Then we drove to DINGWALL to TULLOCH CASTLE HOTEL where we were staying for the night. This was a beautiful hotel & we had a huge room. We reserved dinner here & I got penne pasta, filet, chips, onion rings & mushrooms. It was an excellent meal and for dessert I got double chocolate ice cream. Our waiter was an ELIJAH WOOD look-a-like with glasses. I think he was the last "fake" we saw.

Scottish Ferry men
Hill O Maany Stanes
Hill O' Maany Stanes
Gray Cairns of Camster
Gray Cairns of Camster
Inside the round Cairn. This was t…
Inside the round Cairn. This was …
Coming into the round cairn