Moray Firth Center, Loch Ness

Inverness Travel Blog

Chanonry Point Lighthouse

TUESDAY: DAY 12: Had HAGGIS for breakfast for the 2nd time this trip. Before we left town, we walked up to the TIC where we shopped for souvenirs and used the internet. We were going to do a dolphin trip but they weren't running so they told us there were sightings at CHANONRY POINT so we took the A832 and headed there. There was a cute Lighthouse and across the water was Fort George. I was in this area when I and a group of other people saw one jump out of the water! I went over to the other side & got Suzi & my videocamera ready. There ended up being 3 of them! We got shots mostly of their heads. We got back on the A832 to BEAULY FIRTH then to the CLANSMAN HOTEL for 2 days and the best part was it was right on LOCH NESS!

As you probably know Loch Ness is known for NESSIE, the Loch Ness Monster.

View of Urquhart Castle from the boat
The Loch is 22 miles long and more then 700 feet deep is ice free and is the largest Freshwater lake in Great Britian. The legend of Nessie dates back to 565.

It wasn't raining and we were early enough to catch the last LOCH NESS BOAT TOUR CRUISE so we did that. We were the only ones on the boat going over to URQUHART CASTLE and from there we picked up a few people to go back. We got some great pictures of Urquhart from the boat. Then back to the Clansman for dinner which included POTATO SKINS, DUCK BREAST in RASPBERRY SAUCE with Baby Corn, Snow Peas, Carrots, Beans and CHIPS. It was Great!

It was dusk so we walked across the road down to the Loch. It was eerily quiet & still and NO signs of Nessie. The sky was very Dark Blue.

Aditu says:
Okay, I retract my earlier statement that Dunotter is my favorite Scottish castle it's my second Urquart is my favorite!
Posted on: Oct 03, 2006
Chanonry Point Lighthouse
View of Urquhart Castle from the b…
View of Urquhart Castle from the …
Main tower