Lighthouses and John O Groats

Thurso Travel Blog

Dunnet Bay in Castletown

TUESDAY: DAY 26:  We ended up skipping breakfast at the hotel because we didn't get up til 9am so we walked to the bank and then to the store to stock up on, you guessed it; chips. We drove to SCRABSTER to get our tickets for the ferry to ORKNEY for the next day. We had breakfast here which included chocolate waffles that were pretty good & tea. We then stopped at a beach in CASTLETOWN at DUNNET BAY. Then we saw DUNNET HEAD LIGHTHOUSE.  It was built in 1832 and  is the most northerly point in Great Britian. It is on 300 foot cliffs and windows have been damaged by stones thrown up by the sea. You can see the island of ORKNEY from here. We stopped at JOHN O GROATS which is a tourist area and mistakenly known for the most northeast tip of mainland Scotland.

Baby calf
You had to pay to use the bathroom here! No thanks! We only bought postcards and then were on our way. We saw DUSCANSBY LIGHTHOUSE which is the REAL most northeast tip. We noticed that all these lighthouses built by Robert Stevenson look the same: white with gold trim. They are pretty but you can definately tell which lighthouses he built. This one was built in 1924.

On our way to WICK we saw NOSS HEAD LIGHTHOUSE and a tower in the distance and the ruins of SINCLAIR CASTLE. We were back to our hotel at 3:30pm & got ready to sit in the lobby to see the tour director of a tour group that was coming in. lol We thought for sure it was the Michael whom we had on my first trip to Scotland in 1999, but it wasn't, oh well. Once again the silly things we do! lol We ate at JOE"S BAR where I had pizza with peppers & again, good food. We hung out there for a little bit then walked back to our hotel for the night.

euphemy says:
That is a touching story. That doesn't seem to happen much in the states anymore. Very nice story.
Posted on: Sep 15, 2007
gentry591 says:
We staye three nights. did some hiking to a site were a US airplane went down out on some moors in the mountains. Is a plaque telling about the airmen who lost their lives. We came upon some schoolkids from Glasgow with two teachers. Right befor getting to the site one of the teachers told the kids this was a site of people who died helping Scotland keep their freedom. These were kids from the inner city and Ann and I were amazed at the respect these 12-14 yr. old kids showed. After we left one of the young kids stayed with us and helped Ann so she would not slide in the mud. Very touching. I made a point to express my graditude to the teachers for such well mannered kids from the inner city.
Posted on: Sep 13, 2007
euphemy says:
I read about that one too. I wouldn't have minded seeing that one. How was your atay there?
Posted on: Sep 13, 2007