Huntly Castle & Moray Firth

Elgin Travel Blog

Huntly Castle

SATYRDAY: DAY 9: We got up later this morning due to quite a few pints of CIDER & GUINESS. Said our goodbyes & were on our way to HUNTLY CASTLE which is also known as STRATHBOGIE CASTLE. It is on the banks of RIVER DEVERON & remains of a 12th century Motte and Bailey can be seen and was also a 17th century Palace. It took several hundred years to build & the 1st part was built around 1240, with other parts built in the 1460's, remodeled twice with last one taking place in the 1600's. (where the Gordon's lived)  It was a stronghold of the GORDONS and has a beautiful doorway & carved fireplaces.

Next was MORAY FIRTH WILDLIFE CENTER that was also a pretty area. We were looking for Dolphins but didn't see any at this time. Then we stopped at BAXTER'S which was a shopping area.

Inside Huntly
I think this was where Suzi bought some pottery.

We drove to ELGIN to our room for the night at MILTON B&B.  When we got there, we thought no place to park but the owner's husband made the car fit in this tiny space in the back with 3 other cars. No wonder the cars are smaller than they are in the US. It was a very cute place & I was happy that the bathroom had one spicket that the hot & cold water go through instead of separate ones. The little things make me happy! We walked into town a couple of miles to find a place for dinner but most seemed to be bars filled with teenagers. So, we found a fish place only to end up eating Rib-eye Steak with Mushrooms, Cole Slaw and my favorite, Chips. We walked back to the B&B and went to bed & I think we got the best sleep that night! It was just quiet.

Stone Floor