Elgin Cathedral, Findlater, Bow Fiddle Rock & Duffus Castle

Inverness Travel Blog

Elgin Cathedral

SUNDAY: DAY 10: We had our breakfast and then stopped and toured ELGIN CATHEDRAL. This was established in 1224 & reached its full size in the 13th century. It was used little after the Reformation in 1560 and 100 years later was abandoned. This was a beautiful ruin & is a shame is was only used for 3 centuries. We took the A96 road to A98 to CULLEN and stopped at a beach. Then we took an unmarked road to the Ruins of:

FINDLATER CASTLE which is perched on an "outcrop" of rock. There were a couple signs & a long walk thru a couple gates to get to the area above it that had a sign with information about the history of the castle. It looks like it will crash in the sea but it was a beautiful setting! Dating from the 14th century it was owned by the SINCLAIRS and then passed to the OGILVIES in the 15th century.

Elgin Cathedral
It was abandoned after 1600 and now is very ruined & dangerous. There was a path to get to it in which a family with children & Suzi went down but I only went so far because I figured with my luck, I would fall into the sea! We walked another path to see part of Sandy Beach. We left here and got on the A942 to BOW FIDDLE ROCK at PORTKNOCKIE. We walked around the area & there were hundreds of birds and a sea cave. There was a rock that was almost all White from the bird droppings! So I called it S#!t Rock.We drove through the towns of Portknockie, Findochy, Buckie, Spey Bey and back through Elgin. There was a McDonalds so we had lunch here. It was the 1st McDonalds we had seen.

We headed to DUFFUS CASTLE; also a ruined castle and was free so it was VERY crowded and children were running around screaming and crawling all over it and there was a couple making out on the ground! We were disgusted by how these people were disrespecting it! There was a wall that was slanted that gave it a unique look.

Findlater
We took the A96 into INVERNESS where there was a huge roundabout & it took us a few tries to get into the correct lane; kind of like "Look kids, it's BIG BEN and Parliament!"from National Lampoons European Vacation.  lol This was the 1st time Suzi got the dreaded BEEPING horn. lol We had to stop & ask some teenagers how to get to our hotel that was really only across the river. We stayed at the Palace Hotel and our view was INVERNESS CASTLE across the river. The car had to be valet parked a couple times since it was a busy hotel & the parking lot was full most of the time. We got ready and ate dinner here. I tried RISOTTA with Sundried Tomatos. Normally I hate tomotos esp. raw but this was really good.
Area to the left of Findlater
Now this is the only tomato I'll eat unless it's an actual sauce.

We walked to a bar called HOOTANANNY'S that had a band but some of the people seemed a "little out of it". (if you know what I mean). We left after about an hour & walked to JOHNNY FOXES that also had a band and we had a great time there watching people and gave them names. One guy sat down & his "butt crack" could be seen. There were 2 girls we called Britney Spears & Paris Hilton. There was also a guy going around grabbing peoples bums. The funniest part was when a woman went back to join her group after dancing & she sat down at the WrOnG table. lol What made it even funnier was the fact Suzi & I saw it at the same time & then looked at each other as if to say"Did you see that?"  and we just laughed about it the rest of the night! It was one of those things that you had to be there.

Aditu says:
LMAO, the look on her face was priceless!!
Posted on: Oct 03, 2006
Bow Fiddle Rock
Bow Fiddle Rock
Inverness Castle
Inverness Castle
Johnny Foxes can be seen on the lo…
Johnny Foxes can be seen on the l…
Inverness Castle at night