Beautiful Beaches, Stoer Head LH and Ardvreck Castle

Durness Travel Blog

This was a small, pretty, clean beach in Scotland. Hardly anyone here and also some pretty little seashells of various colors.

SUNDAY DAY 24:   For breakfast I had porridge, bacon, scrambled eggs & mushrooms & we ate with 2 couples from Glasgow & England. We got on A837 to B869 & stopped at CLACHTOLL BEACH which has been described as the"last great wilderness area in Europe".  It was rocky but the water was a deep blue. Then we stopped at STOER LIGHTHOUSE which was built in 1870 by the Stevenson family on the Stoer Peninsula. This area was dramatic and pretty. Back on the B869 & stopped at another Clean, pretty beach called CLASHNESSIE BAY. We saw the QUINAG MOUNTAINS which were "Y" shaped, then headed south on A984 to ARDVRECK CASTLE. It was raining off and on & the footpath to the castle from the carpark was very MUDDY & I had old tennis shoes on that had little grip so FALL# 4 OCCURED! lol This was the worst one because there were alot of people here & I SLID for what seemed like a long time (30 seconds) & I thought for sure I was going to slide into LOCH ASSYNT! I think my feet hit a rock & that's what stopped me.

Clachtoll Beach
lol These guys were like "Are you alright, Do you need help?". I was MUDDY & embarrassed more than anything but ok! It's amazing  how I didn't get hurt on this trip. lol

About this castle; it dates back to 1490 and was owned by the MACLEODS of Assynt & has a story of betrayal and is said to be haunted by the daughter of the Macleod chief who fell out of a window. It is in ruins and not much is left and only part of the tower still stands but you can tell it was 3 stories high.  We got back on the road to go to KYLESKU  for a boat trip to see the 650 foot high Eas-Coul-Aulin waterfall but they were not running. It was disappointing because these waterfalls are Britian's highest waterfalls & 4 times higher than Niagra Falls. We drove on the A894, A838 & B801 roads and saw beautiful OLDSHOREMORE BEACH which I thought was the prettiest beach I have seen so far in Scotland! I took a lot of pictures & video here.

Point of Stoer Lighthouse
lol There were only a handful of people and a couple of dogs.

We walked around for about half an hour then went to our next destination which we had read about being the "Most magnificent beach in the UK", SANDWOOD BAY. We found the car park for it & the gate was across the road that led to the footpath which is a 4 mile walk. There is a donation box in the carpark to keep the Bay a "Special place". We thought we could do this before it got dark but we only made it halfway (2 miles). A few people had passed us, (mostly couples) & said it was still a ways. The walk there was Moorland with small lochs and you cannot see Sandwood Bay on your way to it. It started raining & some of these lochs were flooding areas so we didn't chance it. To pass the time on our way back Suzi & I played a game of guys to MARRY, HAVE FUN WITH or PUSH OFF a CLIFF with some interesting choices.

lol

Our place for the night was at PUFFIN COTTAGE B&B in DURNESS. Durness is the most north westerly village in mainland Scotland. Suzi was a little ticked that our bathroom wasn't en-suite & was downstairs but private. She was happier when she took a shower and the soap was an Oatmeal scent. lol It was soothing & calming. We ate dinner at SANGO SANDS PUB and I had lasagna with chips & a Chocolate Surprise that ended up being mouse! We went back to the B&B & read most of the night. It was very windy and cold outside.

Aditu says:
HAHA I just remembered having to jump across that loch cause it seemed to have a high tide, if that's possible, Marry, push off a cliff or "have fun with" hmmm, I don't remember using that expression, lol.
Aditu says:
Oh and didn't we see a fake Karl Urban at that restaurant?
Aditu says:
Damn, I am high maintainence aren't I, lol. That was by far the WORST fall, I agree, I also thought you were going into the Loch and I thought that guy was going to fall trying to catch you!! That Oatmeal soap was AMAZING
Posted on: Oct 19, 2006
This was a small, pretty, clean b…
It was a bit chilly
It was a bit chilly
I love the colors of the water
I love the colors of the water
Scenery on the way to Sandwood Bay
Scenery on the way to Sandwood Bay
From the beginning of the footpath…
From the beginning of the footpat…
Durness