Treking through Argentina

Foz do Iguacu Travel Blog

So my theory of not checking the weather, because its out of my control, is still logical, however on vacation, with a limited about of days, I may want to rethink the practicality.  I guess, today, Saturday I woke up thinking practical.  (I have an excuse!).  At about 4am, I awoke to a monstrous thunderstorm.  This, right after hearing that this region hasn’t gotten a drop of rain in 9 months.  They were starting to make up for it.  We had discussed getting up and hiking the trail on the Brazil side down to the falls, and then head over to Argentina.  We amended the plan slightly, with a little extra sleep, breakfast and then the passage to Argentina.  We toured downtown Iguassu and looked at several different shops and then we stopped at one of the 3 markers.  The border of Brazil, Argentina, and Paraguay come together at an intersection in the river.  You can stop at the markers, and view the other two.  We stopped on the Brazil side and then headed into the Argentina side of the park.  We had to exchange Reales for Pesos.  We had a great time, even with the rain and the cooler temperatures, once we arrived in Argentina; we parked the car and then headed into the park.  There is a short train ride that you take to a central place in the park.  Once you get off, you walk only about 1000 meters out to the end of a footbridge to view “Devil’s Throat”.  We couldn’t have been wetter if we swum up there to view it (although probably a little less in tact).  It was powerful, the sound of the ranging waters, the feel of the mist, the wind and the tumbling water was unforgettable.  The fact that we were wet and cold was truly in the background.  We got to stand all alone at the end of the footbridge, because no one else was silly enough to brave the elements with us for this view.  We walked back to the train station, and I spoke in Spanish to the lady to order two coffees and pay for it.  I tricked her into thinking I knew more than I did, until she gave me the change and coffees and tried to have a five minute conversation with me.  After she was done, I had to fess up that “No hablo Espanol!”  She winked at me and told me to have a good day!  The train side down the hill was longer than the way up there (no sure how that happens really!) but we wandered into La Selva, an Argentine Buffet and BBQ.  I know most of you are thinking, Vanessa and BBQ.  You’re right, I wasn’t exactly excited.  But when I saw that their version of BBQ was Medium Rare Fillet and a Salted Roast, and it was warm in there, I was in heaven.  I ate some mystery stuff from the buffet – it was decent and dad and I enjoyed a great bottle of wine.  It was a 2002 Luigi Bosca Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, from Argentina of course!! Instead of signing up for dinner again at the dance studio, we headed for a grocery store in town and bought brie, salami, crackers and a little more wine.  It was a terrific day.

Foz do Iguacu