Settling in to Brazil

Sao Paulo Travel Blog

To mentally prepare myself for my “roughing it in Brazil” I sat in seat 3B down to Brazil.  Not first class, business class.  Okay, you are right…there is no first class on that plane.  It was rough duty, to have to try to pick between the 6 wines and 2 ports on the plane.  Luckily, I had a great send off with my friends in Dallas, and I was smart enough to take the Diet Coke and a nap.  I put on my iPOD, listened to a little Five for Fighting and slept almost 8 of the 10 ½ hours.  I arrived in Sao Paulo and successfully retrieved my suitcases and made it through customs.  I am always nervous about going through customs carrying the odds and ends that I have (See exhibit A for a detail shopping list from Mom & Dad! j/k Mom would cut off my fingers if I shared it with all of you).  This time, with the heightened security measures, TSA had left me a note taped to the 2 pound jar of Jif extra crunchy that Mom had requested.  Thank goodness, Brazil has grape jelly, or the TSA guy may have had a snack and mom would have had to go without the Peanut Butter.  I can say that the handsaw and the Jack Daniels seems to make it through security with little scrutiny.  Technology is a beautiful thing.  I was able to email dad to tell him that my flight was late getting in, the lines in immigration were long, and that I was sitting on the freeway in traffic from the airport to Alphaville.  He was able to call Mom to let her know to expect me and to come downstairs to get me.  I met Mari, who is Mom & Dad’s house help.  She is very nice and friendly.  I hope that she teaches me a few Portuguese words before I leave.  Mom & Dad took me for lunch at a restaurant where their specialty is chicken and ribs.  The chickens, all four of them, together were about 1 ½ pounds – as Dad put it, there are dove that are larger than those chickens.   They had a terrific flavor though and the salad bar was phenomenal.  Mom, Allison, and I went to the local grocery store, where I picked up a great chunk of Brie, a little salami, and bread for bruchetta.  I chose a Grand Terrenpaca Chardonnay (Reserve) to accompany our tapas.  It was very nice.  A little buttery, not much oak, very well balanced fruit.  Dad and I thought it passed with flying colors – except for some reason when we were sitting in the “Brazil” room, somehow the bottle sprung a leak, and when we went back to pour more, if was almost gone.  Of course, outside of catching up with dad, my highlight of the night was the 1997 LBV Port that we opened.  I have always been an LBV fan, but the 1997 was terrific.  I look forward to finishing a little of that off each night.  Dad brought the Port back from Porto Alegre.  Hmmm…wonder when his next trip is?  How many liters of alcohol can I import in one trip?

Sao Paulo