The apple of my eye - the reason for Home this year!

Tucson Travel Blog

Atlanta, GEORGIA (2002)

My daughter DESIRE is the reason for my trip home this year. It has been five years since she has seen my immediate family including grandmother. She is so much like me- which scares the lil' Jesus out of me sometimes. Have you ever seen a reflection of you so close it scares you? My daughter is one of me. Don't get me wrong, it is a good thing, but there are some things that I do that I would not like her to do - the adventures and risks and all, he-hee!!!

Anyhow, I have included some pictures of her from when she was just about a year old: In 2002 we visited my friend Robert who works for the CDC (Center for disease Control). Robert had previously lived in Uganda for a few years working with the pediatrics department of Mulago hospital, but had returned home to Atlanta, during this visit, Robert took us on three main tours: The CNN center where we were able to see how broadcasting is done,( amazing and worth seeing), the Museum of Natural History, and the Coca Cola factory.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
At the museum of natural history, Desire was intrigued by the huge dinosaur skeleton on display, of course just about the same time she needed a diaper change and she kept scratching her self as she tried to look, she looked so little like a bug standing by the skeleton, LOL!

As you can see she traveled to quite a few places with and without Mum, lol! I started travelling with her when she was only six months - the first transatlantic flight was from Uganda to Biloxi Mississippi in the USA. I still remember sleeping for two days straight getting up only to feed and change Desire's diaper that was the mother of all jet lags. That same year (2002), we visited my girlfriend Jackie in Milwaukee and stayed through the Christmas holidays it was freezing bolzzz (I do not like cold weather, I try to avoid traveling during the cold season).

Kampala, UGANDA (2003)
Desire saw her first snow then and was intrigued so much so that I could not keep her indoors. I on the other hand was suffering from the biting cold, while she rolled bits of snow in order to make snow man, ha-ha!

From then, we have made many trips including her lone travels to and from Europe to visit her aunt during summer breaks. In 2005 she made the ‘Unaccompanied" traveler flight to London from Phoenix for the summer holidays. She told me so many stories about the many places and fun things they did, vividly describing the huge lions at Trafalgar Square and the London eye (she kept calling it the huge wagon wheel). In 2006, she made another trans-pacific flight during the summer holidays to London to stay with her aunt and cousins.

Sonoita, ARIZONA (2005: She so wanted to go to the beach so we brought the beach to the backyard,lol!!
This time my sister took them to Disneyland in France, way cool. She loved the pirate ship and the princess’ castle. Besides France, my sister took her to Scotland as well; she talked quite a bit about her trip to Disney Paris and the castles in Scotland. I have all the little figurines and stuffed items from Disney and Scotland lined up in her closet (Not enough room to display them all).

In 2007, she made another trip to London for summer. This time her aunt did not take them places as she was buys packinghouse to return home, her 4-year term of service with the embassy had sadly come to an end. And so, comes the end of summers in London for now.

Tombstone, ARIZONA (2005)
This year (2008) she will be spending more than summer with grandma and her Aunt Beatrice in Africa. Her cousins Kevin, Keith and Kimberly are rather excited to have her - they get into trouble together and drive my sister crazy, lol!

Our journey to Africa begins May 29, 2008. I will tell you more about our trip when I return. I myself can not wait to eat some home cooked meals; Mum makes the best fish and peanut sauce in the world. I can not begin to explain it to you, but if you ever come to Africa and I’m there, I will have Mum prepare this special dish just for you, smile!! Happy Travels!

Africancrab says:
Thank you Claudia, you honor me with such compliments. Thanks for the comment, always a pleasure.
Posted on: Aug 26, 2008
santafeclau says:
I think this is the best travel blog I have ever read. I really like it.
Posted on: Aug 26, 2008
Africancrab says:
Thanks Roselle for validating that, sometimes I wonder, lol!
Posted on: Aug 24, 2008
Kampala, UGANDA (2003)
Sonoita, ARIZONA (2005: She so wan…
Sonoita, ARIZONA (2005: She so wa…
Tucson