Getting ready to go

Tampa Travel Blog

The waiting that comes when the preparations are through is always the hardest part. My backpack is on the couch next me. It sits there, unassumingly filled, hopefully with everything I will need to survive for the next few weeks.
As with all big undertakings in my life, there is a bit of doubt in the back of my head creeping threateningly through my thoughts. Tomorrow is a big step. A lot of firsts are about to happen quickly. I’ve never been to a non-Western country, I’ve never traveled extensively by myself, I’ve never had to deal with a language barrier — hell, I’ve never flown first class. I know I can do this. I’ve done my research and the time has come.
I’m taking off on a Delta nonstop flight out of Atlanta tomorrow. Sixteen hours of movie watching, sporadic sleep, airline food and reading will land me in the heart of Mumbai. I’ve arranged for a host to stay with, I have the information on how to use the taxi system. I’ve watched The Darjeeling Limited twice and will probably watch it again on the plane. There are only a few loose ends left to tie up.
I plan on spending 3-5 days in Mumbai, and then I'll head to either Pune or Goa, depending on what kind of travel arrangements I can secure. I’m keeping my schedule pretty open to change. I hear those who depend on everything to work out right on schedule are pretty much begging to go insane.
Well, I guess that’s it for now. Follow me on my journey. Maybe I’ll even see some of you out there. Mumbai, here I come.

1,616 km (1,004 miles) traveled