Life in Devon, work in Strafford- basically, how does the small town work...

Devon Travel Blog

Devon Home Properties office
I've spent the next two and a half months in Devon, little place 20 to 40 minutes by train from the center of Philadelphia. And surprisingly, despite being so close to it,  I've visited Philadelphia only 5 times, three of which I was there only to change into a bus that was taking me some place else, and one time to go to a club. So you can surly deduct that I only visited Philadelphia for one whole day. But I'll write about that in another entry. The rest of the time I've spent in Devon, trying to earn enough money to be able to travel around the States after I finished working.

I might add, though, that living in Devon was not very exciting, since there is nothing to do there.
My new house :)
There's K-Mart, ACME and Wawa stores, a couple smaller ones and a gym. As for our neighborhood we had access to a swimming pool for free and a gym. Going to those two were the best ways of spending free time there.
If we went 20 minutes by the rode (getting funny looks from the people in the cars - I get the feeling we looked exotic walking by the rode while there were no pedestrians around ;) - that's a funny thing about States, no pedestrians outside of the big cities) we were in a slightly bigger city - Wayne (it had a cinema;) ) and if we went 20 minutes more there was a TjMax store - one of our favorite shops in the area. But we discovered that little tidbit at least a month after starting working in Devon...

I'm not going to mention how long it took us to localize the beer stores. The first time we bought a case of beer (24 cans) we had to carry it from Wayne - 20 minutes.
Road to nowhere, aka to K-Mart
You can imagine how mad at ourselves we were after we discovered there was a beer store next to our Wawa, just 5 minutes from our house.... ;) lol. Pennsylvania isn't the best place for beer lovers such as the majority of Europeans - we are so used to being able to buy it everywhere and from the age of 18 too....  And funnily enough it took as a couple weeks to realize that there was a bar 2 minutes from said Wawa store.... It's really not our fault if the store signs/ name aren't very visible right? yeeeeah.....

Do all the bars in States really close around 1-2 AM? Because that's just too weird. In fact I could barely believe when the bartender said it was the last round coz they were closing. Same happened in a club in Philadelphia (were a co worker took us along with his friends one night). How weird is it that they close clubs at two? That's the time when the parties are at their best! I'm used to parties that last until morning, or at least 4-5 AM

Devon