AsiaJapanNarita

Arrival in Japan

Narita Travel Blog

Riding the Narita Express
So the flight was super long, but not entirely intolerable.  For some reason, there were hardly any people on the flight.  The seats were arranged in rows of 2 - 4 - 2.  I was seated in the 4 seat area all to myself, so when I got tired I just stretched out over four seats.  Needless to say, I appreciated that.

The movie on the plane was 'Dan in Real Life'.  Unfortunately I had just rented this movie the previous night was not so excited to see it again.  Not having much else to do however, I chose to watch it in French.

After a long flight we finally touched down in Narita.  It's pretty funny actually.  Coming from Vancouver, it didn't actually feel that weird to be the only white person in a crowd of Asian people.
Almost in Tokyo
  However, this time, most of them and I were unable to communicate.

So in the lobby I went and purchased a phone card from a vending machine for $10 and called my friend in Tokyo.  I headed downstairs and waited about 30 minutes to get my Japan Rail Pass validated and purchase a ticket for the Narita Express to Tokyo Station.  My ticket had some English numbers on it but everything was in Japanese, so I had to ask a police officer what I was supposed to do.  He very kindly informed me which number represented my seat number.

The train ride itself was longer than I expected and not too interesting.  It was dark out and I couldn't see very much of the city or countryside.   When I arrived at Tokyo Station I got a bit lost but found a pay phone and called my friend's cell. When he asked, "Where are you?", I responded, "I'm the white guy,"and we found each other shortly thereafter :).

That night we went to a Chinese restaurant... I know... and it was really good.  We had some Japanese beer.  I ate the sama and a steak on rice.  Later we went to the convenience store to purchase another beer to bring back to the apartment and unwind.  Now as it was some ungodly hour my time, I thought I should be going to bed.
Narita