The adventure starts

Dusseldorf Travel Blog

So.... Australia! Big place - long way away.....

I have wanted to visit Aus for a long time - always been one of the places I really wanted to visit but never got a chance.

But earlier this year Karina and I decided to visit Australia for this years main holiday - her 4th trip down under but my first - it seemed so far away in June - but now the day was here and finally I was getting to visit. Would it live up to my expectations? Would I enjoy it? The answer was a huge Yes!

What an awesome place - totally and utterly breathtaking ....... a real life adventure and we did have many adventures... but I am way ahead of myself......

Back to Dusseldorf!

The route for the outbound trip would take us from Dusseldorf to London and then onwards to Singapore, for our stopover in Sydney and then onto Darwin.

The plan was to pick up a 4x4 camper and visit the national parks in the North Territories before heading West, through the middle of the NT and into Western Australia to visit areas along either the Great Northern Highway, or the infamous Gibb River road (which lived up to its fierce reputation). Finally we planned some time around Broome to end the tour. All in all we had 1 month where we had a loose plan, but real life was to take some interesting and unusual turns against our plans!

Work had been quite heavy the final days before we left and the planning around the morning didnt go quite to plan - I was hoping to drop my car off for a service but due to some issues with the garage contact and the times I didnt manage to get away to drop the car off and so ended up asking Karina to get the train to Dus (about 60km away) which was to set in motion a set of events for her I would rather forget. You should read her blog for the her side!

From myside I handed the keys over to my friend who was looking after the house and headed out to the Airport - a nice easy 15min drive.

Arriving I found myself a coffee and waited to meet up with karina.

I watch a funny incident - a girl who is obviously a model is strutting round the airport trying to look important. She is carrying a beauty case and a fur - I watch her whizz past on the way to security and then a few minutes more I see her storming back - her face is angry and she is yelling into a phone - ohhhh yes the security restrictions! She cannot carry all that make up! Now she has to go back and check that in! She is really unhappy but its so stupid - anyone travelling should make sure what they need to do - dont they?? Well it made me laugh and past a few minutes!

Around 45 mins later Karina arrived v stressed and looking rather annoyed. Seemed she had a problem with her wallet and missed the S-Bahn and then had to get her dad to bring her to Dusseldorf. Ohhh man - what did I do.

It seemed that she had the wallet in her bag all along - so it was stress for nothing - ohhh I am sorry Karina!

So we check in and wait for the flight - leaves on time and we are on the way!

koala says: