Timber Creek

Timber Creek Travel Blog

 › entry 13 of 30 › view all entries
Victoria is a lovely area just to the East - some fantastic colours in the red cliffs

Timber Creek
Small town on the road from Katherine to the Kimberley.
Located on the Victoria Highway 285 km west of Katherine and 193 km east of the border between the Northern Territory and Western Australia, Timber Creek is a small centre which is rapidly growing in importance as a major stopping point on the journey from the Kimberleys to the Territory.

In 1855 the explorer A. C. Gregory, who was financially backed by the Colonial Office to explore the area, sailed from Moreton Bay around the coast of Queensland and the Northern Territory and up the estuary of the Victoria River. Gregory's boat was wrecked at the site of Timber Creek.

It is claimed that Gregory named the site Timber Creek after he had cut some timber to repair the hole in his vessel. The site of Gregory's camp , known as Gregory's Tree Reserve, can still be found to the west of the town. It is distinguished by a cairn. The baobad tree with the date 'July 2nd 1856' clearly carved in it can be accessed from a track which runs from the cairn on the Victoria Highway to the tree which is located at the riverside. The inscription on the cairn reads: 'Gregory's Tree. Sailing from Moreton Bay the North Australian expedition landed at the Victoria River and proceeded upstream establishing their main base camp near here in October 1855. Over a period of eight months Augustus Charles Gregory with various numbers of the expedition explored large areas of the Victoria River catchment and penetrated nearly 500 km south along Sturt Creek to the edge of the Great Sandy Desert.
awesome place for photography!
'

Gregory, who was one of the many believers in an 'inland sea' continued his explorations following Sturt's Creek for over 500 km until it disappeared into the sands of the desert. He then pushed east and explored the Elsey, Roper and McArthur Rivers. In sixteen months he travelled over 8000 km.

The subsequent settlement of the area resulted in Timber Creek becoming an important port for the surrounding cattle stations particularly Victoria River Downs Station which was, at one time, the largest pastoral enterprise in Australia. Remnants of the Victoria River Depot including the landing, stores and some graves can still be seen on the banks of the river a few kilometres to the west of the town near the Timber Creek Aerodrome. The river was used from 1884 (when the first Victoria Downs Homestead was built and when Wave Hill station was first settled) until the 1930s when road transport made it redundant.

We stopped over night at the only camp site... under the shade of a HUGE Baob tree - much to Karinas happiness - she loves them and the noisy kakadus and the Lorrakeets that were flying around squaking away. A nice place to stop - 1 pub and 1 small store - population 300!

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Victoria is a lovely area just to …
Victoria is a lovely area just to…
awesome place for photography!
awesome place for photography!
Victoria River - Kakadu heaven!
Victoria River - Kakadu heaven!
Wonderful Eucalyptus trees
Wonderful Eucalyptus trees
After Timber Creek the river split…
After Timber Creek the river spli…
Black Kakadus - rare it seems - th…
Black Kakadus - rare it seems - t…
Pink ones!
Pink ones!
some water left in the river holes…
some water left in the river hole…
Timber Creek Hostels review
Timber Creek Campsite
What can I say about Timber Creek! On the road from Kunuarra into WA there is a lot of nothing and then a whole lot more of nothing :) Once you… read entire review
Timber Creek
photo by: dl4plm