On to Phoenix!

Phoenix Travel Blog

A few cactus were in bloom.

Up early enough to go down and get some of the continental breakfast that the hotel served. Not much choice. Three kids cold cereals, a few very small muffins, pre-cooked omelets, actually I think they had come frozen and the hotel nuked them. Yuck. And a couple of waffles that looked just as bad. We each had orange juice and two muffins and even though it was early they turned off the juice machines so we couldn’t refill them. We had driven further the day before than I had planned so we had a much shorter drive into Phoenix. We took in the Desert Botanical Gardens first. So many varieties of cactus and succulents and some were either in bloom or very near, so we got a few nice shots. And we also took in the Spring Butterfly exhibit.

In a large tent-type enclosure they had brought in a large number of different kinds along with plenty of the kinds of plants and flowers they liked. It was mist cooled and lovely with the butterflies flitting about. But you had to watch as you moved not to step on any. And when you left you went through a plastic drape and then had to be checked to make sure you didn’t have any hitchhikers on any part of yourself.

After we left the Gardens we found the large rock hill with a hole in it. It wasn’t as exciting as we had anticipated. We did take a couple of pictures.

I know this entry won't look right but it is the only way to post it.  The above section is separated by a drive out to Fountain Hills.

After visiting Fountain Hills we found our way back to Phoenix and arrived at Terry’s (sunsetrosebud) home, where we were going to be spending the night. She had just arrived home from work a couple of minutes prior to our arrival. She invited us in and showed us our room and we chatted until her husband came in and then finally Amanda, her daughter. If you’ve been a TravBuddy for more than a day you know Amanda (Amanda).

We had also arranged that Michelle (michelle_powell) meet us there too.

Soon we went out to eat and one of Amanda’s favorite places, Chino Bandido. It’s a combination Mexican and Chinese restaurant. I found it quite a strange place but it turned out very good. I had a combination plate with Egg Foo Yung, Teriyaki Chicken, and beans and rice. We sat and talked for at least a couple hours.

Back at Terry’s home we chatted until pretty late before retiring for the evening. My biggest regret was not getting any pictures of them.

RuttiTootie says:
Beautiful pictures!
Posted on: May 11, 2008
tjohnsonsr says:
Arizona is the reason God invented Air Conditioners!
Posted on: Apr 23, 2008
travelman727 says:
It's always wonderful to meet up with TravBuddies along the way :-D
Posted on: Apr 16, 2008
Into the butterfly exhibit
Into the butterfly exhibit
butterfly exhibit
butterfly exhibit - one on my hat!
butterfly exhibit - one on my hat!
Phoenix Sights & Attractions review
A Cactus lovers delight
The Desert Botanical Gardens in Phoenix covers 145 acres and is among the best for showing off a full array of cactus and hot climate plants and flowe… read entire review
Phoenix Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Fun meal, good food
Chino Bandido has been around since late 1990. Serving the wonderful combination of Mexican and Chinese dinners you have ever seen. It began as what … read entire review
Phoenix