Deep into the earth day

Carlsbad Caverns National Park Travel Blog

We are up and down for breakfast at the motel by nine a.m.. We spent the night at the Days Inn, in Carlsbad. Not the greatest continental breakfast, but we did find something to help. I had a bowl of some kind of kids corn cereal just to get a good drink of milk. My wife had a bagel and cream cheese and orange juice.

Today is Carlsbad Caverns, which we are really looking forward to. The drive there is only about 25 miles and seems to go slow even though there is no traffic and the speed limit is 65 or better all the way. Just anxious I guess.

Being out of shape and much older than I ever planned to be when I visited here I decided to take the easiest trail, which means taking an elevator down about 750 feet to the Big Room. Most visitors can take the natural entrance and hike down the established trail to the Big Room. Also, there are several options while down in the caverns and some can take several hours. We opted for a somewhat shorter version while still taking in nearly all of the most spectacular areas. And it truly is spectacular. I took picture after picture some with flash and some without, just using the lighting that has been put in to show off certain details and areas.

The day from there was full of open land, first of New Mexico and then of Texas. We stopped in Pecos for lunch and Fort Stockton to get our oil changed. May have to do that a couple of more times on this trip.

boxinbcn says:
This is definitely on my to do list - I've wanted to visit these caves all my life!
Posted on: May 28, 2008
sunsetrosebud says:
Good to know about the bats. I would love to go then.
Posted on: May 26, 2008
ejames01 says:
I got to visit here when I was a kid. I would love to see it again as an adult. You appreciate things more as you grow older.
Posted on: May 07, 2008