St.Just and walk upto Cape Cornwall

St.Just Travel Blog

St.Just city centre

Having seen Land's End and Minack Theatre already, I was quite exhausted and if I had 2-3 days more in this area, I bet I'd have gone back to the hostel and slept. But I didn't, and caught a bus to St.Just. The bus drive took a lot longer than i had imagined, and I really have picked up this bad habit of dozing off on buses, to an extent that I realise that I've reached my destination only when the vehicle comes to a total stop! That's what happened on this bus journey, the bus driver had to turn off the engine and alight before I realised I was in St.Just.

Anyways, the bus stops in the right in front of the library which also doubles up as the Visitor Centre. As a town, St.Just is really very very plain. Very. Even the caricature city centre was one of the more boring ones I've seen.

Approaching Cape Cornwall
I had a quick fish n chips for lunch, it was very oily, and got directions to walk towards Cape Cornwall.

This place is so different from the other towns. I mean, even for Cornwall standards, this place isn't really very heavily visited. You can tell as you end up walking through quiet and residental areas in order to reach Cape Cornwall. Infact at one point, I thought I was lost because I was going through a totally residential area, thinking how come no fancy tourist traps! As I reached the Cape, I noticed that there were a fair few tourists, although most were British. I don't think foreigners are very familiar with this place. Well neither am I, as the tourist books never mention it. I was lucky I had such a knowledgable hostel warden!

I spent about 2 hours on the Cape.

It's quite winding, walking down the hill, and climbing up the hill again... It was very very windy.... I was scared at some pionts that my camera would blow away. Also unlike other places, the hiking track isn't that well defined. Having said that, atop the hill, it's splendid. There's your standard monument at the tip (forgot what it's for, but I'd say it's dedicated to either a fisherman who died or a rescueman who died trying to save the fisherman). There's a lovely lighthouse also near the bottom of the cape...the Cape by itself is beautiful. Typical airy atmospheric area.. seen it before but wonderful all the same. I loved the fact that this place isn't really that commercialised, and is perhaps Cornwall's best kept secret.

I did a mini-hike of about 2-3 miles in and around the area.

View from the cape of the cliffs
Stuart had asked me to walk to some other point which I forgot, and none of the locals could help me when I asked them (maybe becuase I was pronouncing it wrong, duh!). It was already about 6pm anyways, so I decided to head back having thoroughly enjoyed the whole day. What seemed like a mishmash of places the previous night when I was planning really turned out very well and very very relaxed. I will still say that the highlight of this trip has been Tintagel. The sweeping views of the sea, the greenery of the cliffs, the pastures, etc... I don't think anything I"ve seen since can ever compare to it. So sadly Cape Cornwall will have to settle for a Bronze model (behind Tintagel and St.Ives) in terms of attraction.

Caught the bus back to Penzance, and I got back to the hostel around 730pm, I was famished... I met this really interesting Canadian lady. She's actually Mancunian but lived all her life in Vancouver, and works for some newspaper there. It was nice listening to her tales of various travels she's done, and just her life experiences.

I slept late that night... well I didn't have much to lose. I knew I had close to 6 hours on the train to sleep should I needed to. But when I did sleep, I slept like a log. All the fatigue caught up quite well!

A swimming pool?!
A "swimming pool"?!
Love this pic! The grass!
Love this pic! The grass!
Hike around the hill back to town