5 days in mellow Melbourne

Melbourne Travel Blog

Wombat on Squeaky Beach

So I've spent a little time in Melbourne and I'm heading off to Sydney today - I hope Syndey lives up to the hype as I really like Melbourne and I'll wind up wishing I'd spent more time here if it doesn't!

I arrived very early on Wednesday morning after 40 hrs travel/waiting in airports. I won't give you the details of the rabies treatment I had to go through as my first introduction to melbourne but I will admit to fainting - I blame the jetlag though! I spent the rest of the day in a bit of a daze and sat on the free city circle tram so at least I could see some of the sights!

After an good night's rest I hit the streets to get a feel for the city, just a meander round the CBD and Southbank and a visit to the Immigration Museum.

The rain stopped :-)
... it was an easy day :-)

Friday, I made a slight error and went on a day trip to Phillip Island to see the penguins with a winetasting on route - I really should have opted for the Great Ocean Rd daytrip as this was far too commercial for me. Why spend money to see animals in a wildlife park wehn you can see them in the wild?

Saturday morning was wiped out by my next rabies jab (only 2 more left now though, yay!) but I took the tram down to St Kilda in teh afternoon for a coffee and cake and to gaze at the see. Then walked back to the city through Albert Park and the Botanical Gardens.

Yesterday I had another day trip, this time to Wilson's Promontory National Park which was much more successful - a walk up to the top of Mt Bishop and then another walk from Tidal River to Squeaky beach. Absolutely gorgeous scenery and a whole host of wombats and kangaroos.

Itchy!