Week 1: Nepal (Kathmandu and trekking in the Annapurna Himalayas)

Nepal Travel Blog

I'm afraid this is going to be a little brief as power tends to cut out regularly and I've already lost this once! I'm writing in notepad and transferring now so fingers crossed I can keep saving it!

I arrived in Kathmandu on Sunday 6th April and spent a few days walking round the city - visting Durbar Square, Thamel, Swayanabath etc. I met a nice Nepalese guy who took me to his friend's house to see the view from his roof terrace (not a euphemism so don't start on me!) which was stunning. He's really keen to meet and chat to foreigners so if you're in Nepal and want someone to tell you about the city I have his number.

On Tuesday I gave in to one of the numerous guys selling trekking tours and agreed to join another couple walking through the Annapurna foothills for 3 days.

Best decision I've made so far - the scenery was amazing and as those that know me are aware I can get a bit claustrophic and tetchy if i stay in London too long, this has definitely fixed that! We reached our destination and highest point yesterday morning (11th) for dawn - Poon Hill at 3210m, then we had a 28km hike back to catch a minibus into Pokhara. I went with a company run by Bisho Dehal who can be found at, I highly recommend him although he's not the cheapest.

I'll spend today in Pokhara sightseeing before heading back to Kathmandu tomorrow (8hrs on a bus, yuck!) for my flight to Bhutan. I can't really convey the atmosphere of Nepal properly in words but I'll add some photos later when I have a more reliable connection which might help. However, I've thoroughly enjoyed my week here and am glad I took the plunge just to find my own way after Tibet was cancelled. I just wish I could stay longer and experience more of the country!