Melanie does VEGAS!

Las Vegas Travel Blog

Green Frog at the Bellagio
I arrived mid afternoon in to Las Vegas airport. Once again my geographical knowledge let me down as I had expected to see the Grand Canyon from the plane. Although, flying in to the airport I could see the unmistakable Red Rock Canyon. For some reason, I thought the two were connected.

As I waited for my bag on belt number two, I had a chance to look around the baggage hall. It was littered with gambling machines and a hat-wearing American's keen to shoot up their addiction while they waited for their luggage. Judging by the number of bags in the holding pens, quite a few had simply forgotten they were at an airport!

When I reached outside, I could feel the heat at last.
Melanie love the flowers
Los Angeles was cold, this place was perfect! I had heard that the Red Rock ran a shuttle to and from the airport but my luck ran out as the bus had left 5 minutes before me and the next was not for another 2 hours. Slightly irritated to find out that it was $100 taxi fare, the large, smiley lady at the shuttle booth recommended I hire a town car; which cost me $80. Wow, what a saving. Twenty miles later, I arrived at the Red Rock Hotel.

The Red Rock is just fabulous! For starters there's funky music pumped absolutely everywhere around the public areas; the car port, the lobby, the casino floor, the lifts and then there's the amazing chandeliers and the red glass doors. The place is simply enormous and very glossy. Once checked in, I started the 5 minute walk along the 14th floor to my room.
The happy tree
The room was fantastic, 42 inch plasma screen, king size bed, amazing bathroom and best of all a full room size panoramic view of the Red Rock Canyon towering above the hotel and the concentric swimming pools below.

I call up Melanie on her mobile and she sounds very excited the party is about to begin! Thirty minutes later and I meet her in the lobby. She's not hard to miss, actually on second thoughts at 60 inches tall you do need your glasses on from a distance! Melanie hugs and kisses me and instantly we start chatting to each other about everything. She is so easy to get on with and I know straight away we're going to have a laugh hanging out. We jump into Mel's car, which can only described kindly as a classic and Mel explains that she loves travelling so much she really doesn't want to part with money that would stop her enjoying her hobby, travelling.
Me at the Vegas Sign

The tour begins immediately with a cruise up and down the strip and a quick photograph of the Las Vegas sign while Melanie keeps the car hot in the middle of traffic. We park up at the Belagio hotel and spend a good 30 minutes negotiating the Japanese tourists that had accumulated in the Spring Garden. It's amazingly extravagant, in fact the whole of Vegas' strip is an example of what you can do with money when you have so much you're never going to run out.

After a few hours of walking around the shops and hotels my feet are feeling the pain, so Melanie and I  head back the hotel for some food and something completely new. Grey Goose. I had to get her to say this a few times to me before I was confident enough to ask for it at the bar. The bartender shouted something about straight and I nodded at him. A few moments later two small glasses were presented to me and Melanie's slightly Asian eyes gleam at the prospect. She explains to me that I've just ordered straight vodka, her favourite and we must down them in one shot together, this should be fun. A phew binutes dater an me vizzion iz a bit blurd, gord wat hell happened. The two Melanie's sat with me for a few more shots for the next hour of so before one by one they disappeared.

mattango says:
Thanks Jenn!!
jenn79 says:
Matt - these are GORGEOUS photos!!
mattango says:
You didn't see the size of the Goose shot! It look me about 4 mouthfuls to drink ;-) Melanie did the snake thing and just emptied it in one go!!
Lady bird
Lady bird
This is a REAL butterfly!
This is a REAL butterfly!
Venetian hotel