Hua Hin

Cha-am Travel Blog

Creepy hair-braid head on a stick

Up at ten to 10am after about 9 hours sleep and we threw clothes on to enjoy a lovely (inclusive) breakfast in the pretty guesthouse courtyard surrounded by love birds, fish and turtles. Life's always better after coffee, bananas and marmalade (Dad will be pleased). The road down to the beach is lined with little stalls of shells, souveniers, sunglasses etc, so progress was reasonably slow but we finally made it down to the hot sand. We decided to walk left at first, but got harrassed by every tout servicing rows of sunbeds and umbrellas so close together there was no sun. Sometimes I have patience with this, and sometimes the futility just irritates me. If I have quite obviously said no to the previous 5 men running out from beneath the parasols to ask if I want a sunbed, then the chances are not that I will say "Oh actually, sure, that's just what I'm looking for!".

We set off back towards the other end of the beach and round the peninsular we found some more spaced out parasols beyond the resort.

Cocktails on the beach
Here we settled at sea-side sunbeds and ordered a round of Mai Tais, and kept these coming all afternoon. Mostly we chatted about love, life, the universe, but occasionally we lazily raised ourselves from our towel-clad recliners and wandered down to the bath-warm sea to swim, float, and soak up the delicious decadence of the day.

At around 5pm we made a wobbly start back to the strip in order to find food and something low and wet before we fell over. We weren't drunk by any stretch, but the sheer heat and mild dehydration from drinking cocktails made it a slightly hazy walk. We made it to the Blue Elephant Terrace, conveniently right beside SamSams and had a lovely dinner of cotton fish and mango salad.

After dinner there was just time enough for another trip to the night market to secure some previously coveted bargains before we met the taxi driver at 9pm for our carriage back to Condarella's scullery, or more accurately, our 'jungle shack'.

Cha-am