24th Day - Primates 1

Cha-am Travel Blog

Monsoon rains
A relatively easy day on Primates 1 with Lieke and two of the new Thai vet students who have been wonderful. It had been threatening rain and thunder all day and unfortunately the heavens opened just before second feed-out so we had to scamper through the rain with the bowls as fast as possible. I started to feel a little down; I hate the rain and it's frustrating being so damp knowing it will take ages to dry out because of the humidity. Ironically I can cope with being soaked with sweat but not soaked with rain... Plus, it's pretty gross when you take a step and get your flip-flop totally sucked in mud, and inevitably the strap pings out and you are left standing on one leg in the rain with muddy fingers trying to fix the damn gritty sole getting more and more soaked by the second.
The Girls at kareoke evening

We fed out, and I sat around dripping for half an hour (during which we had 2 brief moments of drama when a Thai guy brought in a dying python and tried to poke it through the fence for us to deal with which thankfully alerted our dogs, and also when the dogs tried to kill yet another chicken, the fourth or fifth in as many days - they obviously have the scent of blood.....) before going to collect the bowls and wash up the 171 bowls ready for tomorrow's feed. Annoyingly the roof drips right onto the outside sinks so as I stood washing up I was getting drenched by a steady torrent of water down my back. I didn't mind so much though since it was my last job and a shower and clean clothes beckoned. What I wouldn't have done for a hot shower though! By this point attempting to stay dry was pretty futile so I threw a bowl of water at Lieke and we ended up having a water fight in the rain with the stinky washing up water...

Warm and dry again we awaited the latest news on our evening plans. We had had a barbecue and kareoke planned by rain stopped play, so we started to make preparations to cook the food by other means when we had news from the elephant kitchen that the Thai staff had cooked afterall. We had a great meal of mushroom pasta, fried rice, corn on the cob and coleslaw. A hearty western-style meal after a shitty Thai-style monsoon day. Unfortunately our dinner was plagued by thousands of flying ants; termites in their brief nuptials as I now understand them to be. Apparently they are brought out by rain and zillions of them were flying round the lights cruising for a date before expiring on our plates and in our dinners. I was reminded that I was on house duty by the comments regarding the thousands of dead termites now littering everry surface in the kitchen while thousands more still flitted around the lights waiting to fly into our hair, our tops and our faces. I looked on in horror; unable to comprehend where to start with such a futile exercise. Emma said to leave it till tomorrow but with 'a little help from our friends' we managed to get the kitchen clean again, albeit by some pretty sketchy washing up and a production-line team effort. Kareoke was off though as it hadn't been set up, but everyone was in a sociable mood so the evening looked lively anyway, but then we had news that kareoke was on afterall and everyone trooped down to the elephant kitchen.

I was feeling distinctly unsociable after a wet day and a one-on-one with some pre-nup flying things but went down anyway. When I got down there however, the party was in full swing; John and Kim were on the microphones, the Thai staff were sharing shooters with the volunteers and a pool game was on the go. It was noise, laughter, singing, shouting. I tried to resist and wallow in my funk but it was impossible and before long I was singing with vodka in hand.

After a lot of dancing, sweating, hugging, and many, many embarrassing photos, I turned in, leaving the rest to their impending hangovers. Seeing the photos the next day showed me what a lucky escape I had. At least I could remember everything I got up to...;)

Cha-am