21st Day - Primates 2, Otter Pool & Hua Hin

Cha-am Travel Blog

Oly and Olivia
Primates 2 today and I was training Emilie. She was pretty good, so we got through most things fast. We had a brief drama when we left the scrubbing brush in Menk's cage (but recovered it with the aid of a banana in the isolation cage) and then again when we mistakenly left the water hose threaded through the wire fence and let schizophrenic Joi back in. Emilie ended up in an amusing tug of war with Mr Issues, but we were saved from a mangled and chewed hose by the Thai staff thankfully. They always seem to turn up just when you need them!

I tried to take my day off today, so I would avoid cleaning the otter pool but unfortunately it wouldn't schedule so I was down to do the worst pool of all. I have so far managed to escape it but today finally was the day...  Let me reiterate - there is nothing worse than otter shit.
Oly
And we had been told about the red worms and fishheads found in the last pool (though it beats the cobra found in the tiger pool drain I suppose). We had drained the pool early but it had stopped draining because of a huge clump of hay stopping the pipe so we had to bucket the rest out. Fortunately we have wonderful elephant volunteers at the moment who are always offering themselves for extra duties, and despite our horror stories had not been assuaged from helping. In fact, the otter pool wasn't as bad as I had been led to believe; the smell wasn't as bad as I imagined, there were no worms and fish-heads, we were in the shade for a change, and the pool is smaller than the bear and tiger pools so it doesn't take as long. Once again, the feeling that if that's the worst this place can get, well that's really not that bad afterall.

After work we jumped in taxis to Hua Hin for the night. Another wonderful dinner at Mama Mia's, and then to the night market. I didn't really know why I was going; I'd been twice before and not been moved by anything much to buy it. Tonight however, I was suddenly struck by the 'this is my last time here' shopping frenzy and ended up buying heaps of presents and things. Sarah and I both failed to finish the market, or get a cocktail before we were due back at the pick-up point, so we settled for a bottled alco-pop from the supermarket to be enjoyed in the taxi home amongst all our bags of loot.

Cha-am