Umm where the hell is the 5??

Oakland Travel Blog

me and anthony

So it was Valentines day 08 and I'm sitting at the bar with a couple of friends. Beer has been free flowing and its a really really good single Valentines Day. Then Anthony and I start talking about traveling and Travbuddy and he admits hes jealous of all the places I've been (not that many to experienced travelers but to people who really don't travel I've been around) I tell him that I'd travel anywhere with him and it becomes a road trip conversation. Fortunately I have a best best friend since 3rd grade who lives in Norcal. Which sucks cause I don't get to see he often enough but is awesome because I have a place to go visit. A few drunken text messages later and Chris is thrilled to have me and Anthony come up. When Anthony and I put our heads together good things will happen.
Lets fast forward 6 weeks later past a whole bunch of drama that made this trip even more needed.

....

There was a lot of things making this trip a hardship. The day before Anthony was in an accident. Nina had to finish up her laywer stuff but damnit we said we would go and we did.
I got up bright and early saturday morning. Picked up Nina and then picked up Anthony. The brother had generiously allowed me to use his car, A Honda Accord so save on gas, I have a Silverado. We were on schedule all morning. We had drinks and were on our way by 9:30. Nina and Anthony had never met before so this ride was giving them a chance to met and talk and get to know one another. Now we are telling stories and laughing and having a blast in the car.  Which is why i think I never saw the freeway split. Now we had stopped off in Gorman to get some gas and a potty break.

We hop out and its snowing. We are amazed. Snow!! We quickly get back on the road because we don't want his cute white fluffy snow to be a problem. We keep going going going and finally we pull over for another potty break (we have the bladders of two year olds). I pull back onto the freeway when I see the sign for the 99. Where the hell is the 5? I'm supposed to be on the 5 freeway. Its a great grand awesome  freeway that travels the length of California. Alas, I had missed the split in all the chatter and we were now in Fresno. sigh! We keep driving and I seen all kinds of grape orchards and I look at them pointing saying, "Wine Trees" We then proclaimed grapes to be wine nuggets. This was the first idiocracy of the day.

I called Chris for directions and then promptly ignored them when I seen a sign for Gilroy. One thing I know about Gilroy besides the Garlic Capital of the world is that its near the 5 and Monterey and Salinas and all kinds of other cities I know. We take this lone highway and head towards Gilroy. We finally see some sort of civilization and we have reached the city of Los Banos, which has, to our happiness, a Chillis. YAY. Our plan had included stopping for Margaritas on the way up. We go in and we get margaritas and we grub. We are so hungry. Anthony and I finish Nina's Margarita and I'm the freaking driver. I get back on the road fuller and happier and we find the 5!! yay!!
We're now on our way again. We are hours behind and everyone keeps calling to find out where we are.
But we're happy and singing along to the Ipod and just having blast. We finally arrive in Oakland at about 4:30.
We meet up with Chris. Find the house we will stay at that night and then head over to SF. Chris has this lovely FastTrax so we don't have to stop to pay the tolls. We go over to Fisherman's Wharf and walk around. We buy some Clam Chowder and crab and squid and then feed each other on the steps.
Anthony is a first timer to SF so we do a Golden Gate run. We head over and its perfect timing. We stop at the vista point and take pictures toegther. Right at sunset. I sent a picture text to my brother to show him how awesome it is and he hates me and is jealous.
Savoring the beauty we head over to the Palace of Fine Arts.
Another beautiful thing to show a visitor. Unfortunately they are making it beautiful again, it had all kinds of scaffolding and construction work being done on it. So he missed out on that one.
Chris decides to show us the Capitol of the City, aka City Hall. Idiocracy2 #. Where in Anthony proceeds to ask if thats where the Mayor lives Idiocracy #3.
To try and still the idiots we head up to Twin Peaks for a view. Its night time now and butt ass cold and the wind is freezing. But the view is cleear and incredible. We stay for as long as we can hang holding onto one another and finally getting into the warmth of the car.
It wasn't warm for too  long. We pulled over to get glammed up to go to this club. The girls are getting hoochied out while Anthony does his hair and tries not to look as we're throwing shirts on and off.

Chris takes us to this really ghetto area on 6th street. The club is dead but they still make you wait outside to make it look happening. Theres two levels and the downstairs is closed. I kind of freaked out here. There was no Bud Light. My staple beer was not at this club. I ended up with the worst cranberry vodka ever. I switched to Malibu and Pineapple juice just to survive. I had 5. Anthony started with Miller Light and then found plain Budweiser then we bought him a drink and asked what he wanted. He said to surprise him. He was surprised when we came back with this fat ass bottle of Red Stripe.
The club was hip hop and reggae. This night Sister Nancy was performing downstairs which finally opened and became one big hot box area.
wine trees
Going down there could get you light headed quickly. Anthony and Nina and I were like 3 very sore thumbs sticking out like crazy. The hip hop room above wasn't much better. We were so out of place. Sister Nancy finally came on at 1:15 and Chris came to get us not long afterwards.  We headed back to the car and she bought pizza and fed it to me the ride home. That was the best pizza ever, until I remembered how much of a contact high I had and realized why it was so good.
We were exhausted after the long hard day. Anthony and I shared a room and as soon as our heads hit the pillows we were awake and gigglying and talking. We finally crashed and fell asleep.
It was the most interesting day!

beautiful!