A musical beginning to 2009

Meppel Travel Blog

Edwin pouring the magic potion

It's been a tradition for quite a few years now to ring in the New Year musically in one of the pubs in Meppel, "Clouso". This pub has been my "local" for many years and even though the owners and the name changed since I started going there about twenty years ago, there is still a group of people who have been going there for that long or even longer. I don't go there quite as often now (to put it mildly) but every time I do, especially on an occasion like this, I find old friends to talk to.

What happens on New Year's Day is basically this: bands from the Meppel area will play some of their music, or musicians who are not in bands will form one especially for this occasion. Normally they play for about 20-30 minutes each, and the music varies quite a bit so there's something for everyone.

My sister and the band
Even though they advertise starting at five everyone's always late (I wonder why?) and most people still drunk or very hungover from the night before. The owner provides nibblies (snacks) and a type of eggnog to their own secret recipe. Usually there will also be a free keg of beer. There is no cover charge but at some stage a jar will go around for a donation to the music scene in Meppel.

Earlier this year one of my sister's friends (who sings) was asked to play at a wedding with her band by one of her colleagues. The only problem being: she doesn't have a band! What she does have however is lots of friends who are very much into music and have played in a few bands over the years, so a band was quickly formed and they tore the house down at the wedding! The same people got together again for this occasion and they were the first band up... After that a few more people I know did their stuff and all in all it was a great night!

One thing I need to say: the pub is tiny and they still allow smoking (!!!) so the pics are not great but at least they give an impression...

Sunflower300 says:
Sounds like a great place and a fantastic tradition.
Posted on: Jan 26, 2009