My first TB Meet-up

Giethoorn Travel Blog

Random house

JP-NED and I met today for the first time in Giethoorn, in The Netherlands. We both know and like the town and even though the weather wasn't as nice as we had hoped, it was still ok. I lived in Giethoorn about 20 years ago and we met at 'Fanfare', a famous haunt in Giethoorn where a movie of the same name was filmed 50 years ago where I worked at the time. We then went for a walk, took some pictures and I showed Jan where I used to live. We discussed how as an outsider you tend to think that it would be nice to live in such a place but the reality is sometimes very different. We then stopped in at " 't Vonder' where I worked as well and the owners from back then were still there! We had a few drinks and lunch here and after another walk ended up at "Smit's Paviljoen". It was the first face to face TravBuddy meeting for both of us and I enjoyed it very much.

Jan and I had a very pleasant day together. Jan is a very nice and sincere person, we can have some fun together but also talk about serious stuff. We have things in common and of course the added bonus of the interest in travel, but we could also talk about other things. I felt I could open up to him without being judged. Jan is also very much a gentleman. I am looking forward to meeting him again!

Jan and I having lunch at t Vonder