Visit to museumvillage Orvelte

Orvelte Travel Blog

Every year my family (on my mum's side) organises a family reunion. This will be the third year and it's my mum's turn to organise it. As she thought she had found a good location she thought she would check it out today and we turned it into an outing with my daughters Reagan and Jordan.

We left Meppel around 12.30 pm and drove for about 45 minutes to get there. We had to park the car outside the village as between the middle of March to October the village is for pedestrian access only (unless you live there). The village consists of very old farm houses with thatched roofs, and in some of these you can see the way things used to be. There's a clog maker (although the clogs are now machine made), a smith and a candlemaker. You can also find someone who makes stained glass windows, and there in a lot of information and a movie/slide show about the area. There are also lots of little shops, cafe's, restaurant, etc. For the kids there are workshops, a playground, a sheepherd and other animals. You can also travel by horse tram around the area and play the traditional game of "klootschieten". The thing my girls enjoyed the most was a walking path made for kids. It had lots of tree trunks to climb over, branches to crawl under, a rope bridge, and lots of fun things and sounds. We didn't get to do or see everything, but I would definitely recommend going here!

The good thing about this place: it doesn't have to cost you anything if you don't want to. You can visit some of the houses free of charge, the kid's walk was free too. If you come by car you will need to pay for parking. It costs €3,50 to park and you have to have exact change for the machine which is in front of the boom gate to get out. We were 10 cents short but lucky enough that the guy behind us had a spare 10 cent piece...

I did take pics on my phone of this place, now I just have to figure out how to get them onto my laptop...

Stevie_Wes says:
Darn it, she never did figure out to get dem snaps of that dang phone! ;P "Technology! Sheesh!"
Posted on: May 31, 2009