Meeting in Assen

Assen Travel Blog

Nice house

Had to go to a meeting in Assen today. My day didn't start off to well as I had changed the time on my alarm clock but then forgot to turn it ON. I woke up about 15 minutes late so it wasn't too bad. Then I went to the train station and I didn't have enough coins to put in the ticket machine and no money left on my debit card. Tried THREE places to get money changed and nobody would help me out so I ended up getting on the train without a ticket. Went to the conductor straight away to tell him what happened and he wrote me a ticket including a €44,- fine! He did say I would get the official invoice sent to my home and they might be lenient because I am not in their system for being a non-payer and because of the situation, but still, I was not impressed.

Local Government building
How hard is it to change a €10,- note in a shop!?

Anyway, got to Assen and walked in the wrong direction initially. I had plenty of time to get to my meeting and I actually saw some nice things along the way, of which I got some pictures as I had remembered to bring my camera! So enjoy...

The meeting went as well as could be expected and on the way back to Meppel I had to laugh at a couple that were sitting quite close to me in the train. They had actually brought a thermos of coffee and sandwiches with them and had this on the train. I have seen this many times before but it reminded me of how the Dutch got the reputation for being "stingy". (For people who don't know this expression, it basically means that the Dutch don't like to spend their money...)

It was a nice day weather-wise for a change.

YantiSoeparno says:
What a day! I am happy that you could get through it well, even got a very big fine. You can call it "One Fine Day", taken from the film starred by George Clooney.
Posted on: Jul 16, 2008
cvanzoen says:
Lang leve het openbaar vervoer. Gelukkig dat de dag nog een beetje met een glimlach eindigde!
Posted on: Jul 15, 2008
ik-ben-10eke says:
I forgot to add the GRIN and the LOL.
Tineke