Grachtenfestival 2008

Meppel Travel Blog

Display "Punter" building

Yesterday was the official start of the Grachtenfestival 2008. As I had to work I didn't get a chance to see or do much but today I had a day off so it was a little bit different.

We had a relaxing morning and left to go into town around 11am. As the weather was supposed to be nice today the girls and I had dressed in dresses which turned out to be a big mistake as it was quite chilly! Anyway, my mum, her husband, the girls and I first walked to the post office and then to the Stoombootkade where there was an event called "gieklopen" on. Basically it means walking along the boom of a ship. Of course the object of the game is to walk along it without falling off but not many people managed that! There were also lots of historic boats on display, many of them with signs explaining the history on them. The stage for the live music was not in use yet when we were there. We walked around to the other side of the water where there were several steam engines on display, and we then walked around to the Heerengracht where there were people displaying traditional arts and crafts.

There were also several shanty (pirate) choirs showing their stuff, one of them travelling back and forth on a boat.

At night there was live music on a floating stage at the Stoombootkade.

More on Sunday but I have to work again!

Display Punter building