Familiedag 2008

Nijeveen Travel Blog

Reagan and Jordan in playground

My family on my mother's side organises a family day every year, or at least they have for the past 3 years... The organisation is in the hands of a different family member every year and this year was my mum's turn. She had many ideas over the past year but the day ended up being in Nijeveen and Giethoorn, near Meppel. This was easy for me so I was happy!

As my mum lives in Ireland, herself and her husband flew into Eindhoven in The Netherlands on Ryan Air on Thursday. James, my foster brother was holidaying in the south of Europe and decided to get a train up from Budapest to spend a few days in Meppel as well. With everyone else also making it this year there were 14 adults and 5 children (and one in the making) there.

Reagan and Jordan in playground

The day started off at Anton's, an Austrian style restaurant, in Nijeveen. Here we went "fruhshoppen", which basically means we had brunch here. Now this is not your typical brunch either! It includes soup, breadrolls and slices, cold meats, cheese and spreads. Then a choice of potato or beef salad, then a choice of fried or scrambled egg, after that a choice of mini schnitzel (crumbed pork), kroket (a typical Dutch delicacy), Bratwurst or Frankfurter. You could actually have all of the above if you felt so inclined, and all the coffee or tea you can drink too! The food was not bad, and the good thing about this place when you bring kids is that there's an indoor and outdoor playground. They even have a clown there during the brunch (which is on every Sunday morning) doing balloon animals!

Jordan in playground