Checking out accommodation and the village of Giethoorn

Giethoorn Travel Blog

Inside " 't Zwaantje"

Today I took the girls and went to meet Jan in Giethoorn at Hoeve Montigny. We wanted to check out the accommodation for the meet-up we are organising together. More about that in my "Hoeve Montigny" blog. As Jan had to go to work and the girls and I had some time to spare we went into the village and walked around for a little bit after we had had a drink and cake with Jan at 't Zwaantje.

We parked behind "Cafe Fanfare" and walked past the cafe to get to the main "street", the Binnenpad. As soon as we got there we knew something was up as there were firemen and people everywhere. As it turned out the restaurant oppsite Fanfare, an Italian restaurant by the name of Fratelli had burned down the previous night. No news on how it had happened yet.

Outside " 't Zwaantje"
Normally I would not have stopped to look but in this case I did as there was something special about it. People who have been to Giethoorn (or read about it) will know that there is no car traffic possible here, which obviously means no fire trucks either. So, like for a lot of things in Giethoorn, boats are used. So instead of a fire truck, they have a fire boat. Even though I lived in Giethoorn for a year many years ago, I had never seen this before and of course the girls found it quite interesting too!

After watching things for a few minutes and having taken some pictures, we walked on to Shell Gallery Gloria Maris. It was a good thing I didn't have any money with me because the jewellery was gorgeous! The girls also loved looking at all the shells. From here we walked about another kilometer just looking at houses, and then turned back towards the church and 't Olde Maathuus. Unfortunately we didn't have more time but we'll have the whole weekend from 3-5 July!

Inside  t Zwaantje
Inside " 't Zwaantje"
Outside  t Zwaantje
Outside " 't Zwaantje"
Fire boat
Fire boat
Fire boat and burned down restaura…
Fire boat and burned down restaur…
Replica of a parrot fish