The Oregon Coast

Portland Travel Blog

For two nights I stayed in Portland with an Alaska-friend of mine, Kevin Minto. He grew up in Oregon so was thrilled to guide me to the coast for a full day. The weather was clear and sunny (which I am told is rare) and made for a great afternoon. We visited Kevin's parents near the coast, ate samples at the Tillamook Cheese Factory and at the Tillamook Country Smoker, then enjoyed various stops at beaches and overlooks along the coastline. Several times we hiked beyond the parking overlooks where most tourists frequent to take photos of the "wild beauty" from their car windows before buzzing off to the next point. We were awarded with many spectacular views unobtainable from the road. While on a high promontory watching the sun-glistening waves thud the rock shores below we were blessed by the presence of a young humpback whale. This was quite an amazing experience.

We ended the day beach combing/boulder jumping at a stone beach that, to our surprise, was empty! We had a great time climbing and hopping among large boulders to get to a secluded beach where we found many crab floats (bouys) and rope (which is great excitement for packrats like us!). Overall the Oregon coast was spectacular and provided for an amazing day of fun.
photo by: alooides