Mt. Pinatubo Experience - I survive!

Capas Travel Blog

The 4 x 4 ride

Mt. Pinatubo trek: It was a much awaited planned trip with my supervisor and officemates on May 11, 2008. I was so excited because of the so many things that people say about the once devastating Mt. Pinatubo.

We started our journey from my supervisor's house, mam weng g., in Sta. Lucia Capas, Tarlac and as early as 7:00 am, we were able to reach the jump off point in Barangay Sta. Juliana, also in Capas.  We registered ourselves and rented a 4 x 4 vehicle and off we go.

The terrain was really rough but the sights were amazing.  Imagine, traversing the road with all the debris that looks like alpine and who would ever think that those are volcanic leftovers.

After the rough ride, we started our trek.  It was a two-hour walk and the sight is much better but I must say, it was so exhausting.

From left: mam weng g., ME, wilson, noel, astrid
  It wasn't really easy.  There are streams with different kinds of volcanic stones, a jungle-like rainforest with the abundance of ferns and plants and yes, of course, the breathtaking view of the crater itself.

I had my taste of immeasurable fatigue during that trek but I must say, it was worth it and if you're thinking of going there too, here's some tips on how to get there:

1. If you're coming from Manila, take any bus going to Dagupan, Pangasinan, Tarlac, or Baguio.

2. Go down to Capas, Tarlac Junction and get a tricyle or a jeep from the market to go to barangay Sta. Juliana, the jump off point.

3. When you get to Sta. Juliana, you have to register in their barangay office.

4. Rent a 4 x 4 vehicle that willl bring you to the start of the trek.

5. Enjoy the journey...

There are other alternatives that you can find on the net.  You can also arrange for a trek package with a spa for only PhP 2,000. Just ask when you register.  Kayaks, boat ride and life vest are available upon request also if you want to swim in the crater.  Again, just ask when you register.

The 4 x 4 ride
From left: mam weng g., ME, wilson…
From left: mam weng g., ME, wilso…
start of the trek