The fun of being a spontaneous traveler

Oxford Travel Blog

Going up to the Carfax Tower

Where should I start the story?...okay! When I got the final plan of the vacation leave at work, I was bummed because I was the last one to pick and only 3 weeks from the period of mid January till beginning of February left . I had to wait for almost 9 months for my next holiday. On top of that, I was in a emotional roller-coaster situation. I really had to take a break from Hong Kong. After talking to a friend in England, I made up my mind to fly to London and join my friend Steve to Oxford and then go to Germany to visit friends, Pia and Thomas. I called my travel agent to get a plane ticket and help me to get the visa to visit Europe. As a matter of fact, I didn't have time to have a detailed plan.

I heard a lot of good reivews for Virgin Atlantic Airlines, so I went for the "Premium Economy" class. It's like the class in between Economy/Coach and Business. Of course, the price was in between as well. The service was good, attentive, not the kind of "bad attitude" one.

Steve came to pick me up from Heathrow Airport, London at 5:30 a.m. We drove from London to Oxford. We walked around and explored the town and joined a guided tour. While we waited for the tour, some of the tourists stared at us with an odd look. I thought it might be the contrast of our height (I'm almost 5'4" and he's 6'5"). I had to admit that I looked like a college student and he looked like a mature middle age man at that time. I bet those people would doubt if we are a couple or anything. Well, we didn't care about that much...

we laughed at it a little bit!

Even though there were a few showers and gloomy skies most of the time in Oxford, I didn't feel too bad. We drove up to Bolton (northwest from Manchester) to check out Steve's hometown. Afterward, we headed south to Folkestone, Kent and cross the Channel Tunnel to France.  It was more than 5 hours of driving. We hit the road at about 8 p.m. The road surface can be icy at night during Winter. Even though they sprinkle salt on the road to prevent ice formation, we still had to pay attention and drive safe. We checked in to a hotel near Folkestone and stayed the night before we headed to the Channel Tunnel terminal at Cheriton. It was an interesting experience to ride in the world largest railway wagon. We only drove into the shuttle wagon and it carried the vehicles to the terminal at Coquelles, Calais in France. It took around 20 minutes. Thanks God that I didn't have claustrophobia!

sybil says: