Naples

Naples Travel Blog

Waiting for the train somewhere in the outskirts of Naples.
Naples, Naples, Naples. Oh, where to begin.

Naples is possibly the dirtiest, sketchiest places I've ever been in my life. On top of being one of the Crime Capitals of Italy, and home to the Camorra (an organized crime society said by many to be even more dangerous than the Sicilian mafia), the streets are just paved in garbage. Paved. I've never seen so much trash and filth just laying around in my life. I also don't think I've ever seen so much poverty up-close-and-personal in my life either. Naples has one of the highest birth rates in Italy, and the single highest unemployment rate (30%). In the end, I was glad we saw Naples, but it was definitely a 'strange' experience while we were there.

Our hostel in Naples, on the other hand, was amazing. It had to be one of the nicest places in town: brand new, modern, clean... It was further out of the centre of Naples, a couple stops on the local train/metro line. It was tucked away back in this labyrinth of dark, cramped, dirty alleyways. The building was actually an old abandoned fabric factory which had just recently been converted into this Hostel/Nightclub (recently as in like March 2006).

By the end though, Naples turned out to be one of the absolute highlights of the trip for me, mostly because of the fabulous people we met at the hostel. See, every guidebook we read about Naples said that females should never walk around alone, or even in groups of other females. They should always be with a guy. Well that bummed us out a bit.... but then we heard this one British guy and his friend talking in the lounge about how they were gonna head out and try and find some food, so me and Laur (and two other girls) jumped on them and said we were tagging along. For the next two days, that group of the six of us were absolutely inseperable. We had an absolute BLAST! Sarah, Nicole, Lou, and John were their names, and as it was too scary to go out in Naples at night, we spent every night sitting outside our hostel eating cheap pizza (10 EUR for 3 large pies), and getting drunk on 1 EUR bottles of wine 'til all hours of the morning. I don't remember the last time I had so much fun. :]

One of my favorite experiences in Naples was when Sarah needed to get Sea Sickness medication (they were going to be taking a ferry to Capri one day). NO one in Naples speaks a word of English...so when we did find a pharmacy, it became this great game of charades between all of us, and all the staff at the counter. By the end of it, there were nearly 10 people all miming throwing-up and drawing pictures of boats all over the medicine bags. Priceless.

tardif_emilie says:
hey there, i was wondering if you could tell me what was the name of the Hostel you stayed at? I'd really appreciate it!! :)
Emilie
Posted on: Feb 16, 2008
Waiting for the train somewhere in…
Waiting for the train somewhere i…
Naples