Burano, Murano & Torcello

Burano Travel Blog

The other day we had in Venice, we went with a girl we met at the hostel (Brenna) out to the islands of Venice: Murano (where Venetian glass is made), Torcello, and Burano (where they make lace).

Of all our time in Venice, the day of island-hopping was definitely my favorite. We took the water taxi out to Murano first. Murano was definitely cute....but ultimately, it's really just a less-crowded version of Venice. We hopped from Murano over to Torcello next. There is NOTHING on Torcello except this old church which is fabulous and old and scenic, but that's it.
I think we spent a whopping 18 minutes on Torcello, or something. Burano, however, was the highlight. In one word, Burano is COLORFUL! Every house and building on the whole island is bright and vibrant and loud and fantastic! You can't help but be cheery around so much color! Burano was really interesting too, because it's really only one or two streets of shops, and the rest of the island is residential....but people's homes are attractions in and of themselves, so there's little old ladies hanging laundry out their front door as tourists are walking up and down their canals. <3

Venice was also another great hostel town. Not in terms of the quality of accomodation, but the people we met. The hotel had this great little outdoor patio on the second floor where all the other backpacker kids tended to gather each night to drink and play cards and drink and joke around and drink. Cheap Wine. :) We met some really fun people from all over...Canada, Germany, Norway, Australia...even Minnesota! I know, right!?

We were having such a good time hanging out in Venice that I didn't want to leave, but eventually we had to. Onward....
Burano