SFO to Seoul - First Class Baby!!!

San Francisco Travel Blog

About to enjoy my veal medallions!

After a lack of sleep from excitement about the trip and nervousness that United Airlines was going to ground more 777's, I couldn't believe the day was already here!  Seems like an eternity from planning this trip, although in reality, it was less than a month in the making!!  Our non-stop flight was scheduled to leave from San Francisco at 1pm and in typical fashion - we are late getting on the road!  Fortunately, traffic was not that bad and we made it in an hour from Vacaville!  WHEW!  We had to hurry through security, exchange currency, and pray for seats.  Since we fly standby, we are the last ones called to get boarding passes.

Scott enjoying his braised short ribs with bok choy!
  10 minutes until take off, the entire ecomony section has now boarded, and there we still sit! LOL.  Finally, our names are called and what's this the gate agent says....? Our seats are where?  First class?!?!!?  SWEET!  There were 6 people on the stand by list and we were 1 and 2.  Guess being all dressed up in heels was worth the agony walk through the airport since we did end up in first class (there is a required dress code for employees and their companions, especially if you are in first or business classes).

Now, this is my first time in First Class on an international trip!  I wasn't sure what to expect but I heard it was amazing.  OMG!! I ate and drank incredibly too much but it was worth it!!! Champagne prior to take off, mixed drinks after take off, wine, wine, and more wine with dinner, port after dinner!  Heaven! LOL.

Cheers!

And the meal was fantastic.....we started with a mushroom duck tart and seared sea scallop appetizer; served with a kalamata olive-caper vinaigrette and fig chutney.  Next course was a curry tomato lentil soup, followed by a green salad.  I chose the veal medallions with morel sauce, complimented by Yukon mashed potatoes and a Swiss chard.  You would think I would've been full after that but managed to save room for a couple desserts.  A small ice cream sundae and I couldn't pass up the cheese plate since I was having Port! I absolutely love the right cheese platter with a great wine and these cheeses did not disappoint!  The first was a Jarslberg which is a semi-hard cheese with a buttery, slightly sweet and nutty flavor.

Dessert, dessert, and more dessert!
  They also included some Reny Picot Fontina which was a semi-soft one with a mild buttery flavor.  But my favorite since I like the creamy cheeses - the St. Andre Triple Creme....mmmmmm.  Another glass of Port please!

Being a wino, I was impressed to see their wine list (yes, an actual wine list!) was prepared by someone with high credentials in the wine world.  Doug Frost is one of only a couple people in the world who hold both the title of Master Sommelier and Master of Wine.  Unfortunately, not every flight they have both Champagnes, 4 whites, and the 5 reds.  I had the 1999 Boizel Champagne Brut, the 2006 Castle Rock Pinot Noir reserve from the Russian River Valley, and the Port was the Sandeman Founder's Reserve.  I am a big fan of the 20 year Sandeman's but the Founder's Reserve was excellent.  One last round of drinks......a Kahlua and vodka mix is sure to help me drift off to dreamland!

Not surprisingly after that meal and all the drinks, I fell right to sleep.  There's a small button you press on the console that says "bed" and poof - your seat is transformed into a bed.  Fluffed up my pillows, pulled the blanket over, and checked out my private list of movies and I was in for the night!  After what seemed like only a couple hours, I woke up to find we were on the home stretch already..less than two hours to go!  Man...that "bed" was more comfortable that my bed here....or perhaps it was all the wine and liquor I had! :-)  By now, people are starting to get up and stir around and here comes the flight attendants - what would I like to drink with lunch?  Lunch?!?  I am still recovering from the week's worth of food I devoured only 10 hours ago!  So now we are onto a hot turkey and pastrami sandwich with red and gold skin potatoes, and a fresh fruit appetizer.  Hmmm....seems like it's mixed drinks time again!  I asked for rum and diet.  Guess what I got?!? Literally, I got a rum and a diet coke.  I thought maybe it was just water because the glass was completely full and one sniff, nope - it was rum!! LOL.  I asked for another glass and managed to have two pretty darn strong rum and cokes!  Whoo Hoo!

After finishing lunch and my drinks, they were already making the landing announcements!  This was the easiest flight ever!! LOL.

keef_mon says:
I need to fly first class
Posted on: Apr 29, 2008
danny291 says:
OMG YOU LUCKY GIRL! BTW I LOVE TOTO!!
Posted on: Apr 18, 2008
canduy says:
Wow, that sounds great! I have to fly first class some time. Maria
Posted on: Apr 18, 2008
About to enjoy my veal medallions!
Scott enjoying his braised short r…
Scott enjoying his braised short …