Madrid

Madrid Travel Blog

The hotelroom, simple yet effective

I arrived at the aeropuerte (or something) of Madrid. A huge arrival hall, with a beautiful roof. When I got my luggage I went outside and grabbed a cab to the hotel. It was also my first time at a hotel. One of the employees of the hotel brought my stuff to my room. I asked him were I could get a cab. At first he didn't understand me (english is hardly spoken in Spain), but finally he got me and he told me that there was a busy road nearby, where I could just stop a cab. I thanked him, but he stood still, waiting for something. I didn't got it, so I thanked him again, then he left. Later I realised he just wanted a tip, stupid me.

I stopped a taxi and told him where I needed to go. He didn't understand it right away, but he figured it out, and there we went.

The machine which was broken
I was stunned by the way he was driving, passing cars at high speed, left, right, navigating thru huge roundabouts and finally reaching the buildingsite. The rest of the day I was working on the machine, inside the largest tunneling machine on the world (at that time). They had just started, but I was inside the new M-30 tunnel. Due to some difficulties the repair took more time, so I had to continu the next day. But around the end of that day I fixed the problem and they were happy again. I was very tired when I arrived at the hotel around 8.00pm and went straight to bed, because my flight was leaving the next morning at 6.00am! So I did't saw a lot of Madrid unfortunately.

The next morning I was at the airport very early. There was a group of young Americans, who were also going to Amsterdam. At first they were a bit sleepy, until they discovered that there was a MacDonalds opened.. at 6.00am! Well, I was to tired to care. The flight home was nice and back at Schiphol I took the train back home.

I hope that I will visit Madrid again, to really explore the city and enjoy the culture and the food.

Scary elevator