A little more from France - The Visitors

Samoens Travel Blog

OK. Here goes chapter 2.

The visitors!

When we set off to spend the winter in France we knew we would a have people follow us out for a few days here and a few days there. What we didnt expect is the amount of people for the amount of time! Some of the people we have had over have been a surprise to say the least, others we knew would come and probably never leave......ever!

We arived at Chalet Huggy in early December in full expectation of family coming over for Christmas and little fella coming over for new year (and staying for a month). Find listed below, in chronological order, people to sign The House of Huggy Guestbook.

Liesa & Lisa, Wilf & Carol (Fathead the dog)

They came, they stayed, they left for Spain.

The Badass crew do Mont Blanc
We spent Christmas with a full house and not being able to get to the log burner due to Fathead collapsing, exhausted, in front of it every night, every morning, every..... hang on a minute all the time. In fact in 2 weeks I barely saw him move. Maybe he is just an elaborate foot stool. Who knows!

Little Fella and Sals

We knew he was coming. He knew he was coming. Everyone knew he was coming but we are always suprised when he turns up. Maybe surprised he found his way. Maybe surprised he managed to get down here on his own. Technically he wasnt alone. He had his hot chick seat cover and flu ridden navigator riding pillion. Unfortunatly she never even made 24 hours and caught a plane home poorly. Jeeezzz dude your driving must be pretty poor to creates that sort of reaction in a girl.

For Gods sake stop stalking me!
Ewens money lasted 4 weeks before his bank manager asked him, well told him to go home. Thats what spending 6 months in South America and a month snowboarding in France will do to your bank balance.

Dean and Bob

We had a guys weekend whilst Ewen was out. Dean and Mark came to visit, all be it a fleeting visit. We rode great snow, we drank beer, we laughed, we laughed again, we drank more beer. What can I say. Good weekend was had by all.

Dave and Taz

They had spent many months planning with great details their assault on Chalet Huggy. Pouring over photos of their prey to ensure they got the right target. Coming up with fiendish ways to torture their quarry. Taz and Dave rolled up for 2 weeks of pleasure armed with all sorts of bribes and English goodies.

My Big Bro. Hes the best!
Bacon, biscuits, cheese, branston. Well received. We had an excellent 2 weeks. We rode the snowy piste into our back garden on more than 5 occasions such was the quality of the snow. We went to Italy and rode there. Awesome. Great friends, great company, great times, great big snowboard crash and a great big broken arm that week too. Thanks to both of you for scraping me from the snow and driving me to the medical centre. And thanks for not telling me that they have to pull your busted arm to stretch your tendons. OMG that hurts, properly. Sure we will see you on a narrow little trail somewhere this summer. Hopefully bathed in sunshine not drowned in rain or snow like the last times.

My Big Bro

Amazing that someone as well travelled as my Big Bro has never seen 'real' snow.

Me Ma & Pa. A whole new experience/
You know not 3 inchs of powder but 2 meters of full on cotton wool like crunchy stuff. He was a little amazed to say the least. We did our best to show him the Alps but every time we passed a bar we were inexplicably drawn in. We ate in the rudest restaurant in the world. The waiter was so typically French it was almost a set up. All we could do was ask for more things we didnt require just to pish him off. And oh My God did it work. He was boiling, utterly, seething mad. So funny.

My Ma & Pa

It was great to see my parents. They have never been to the Alps due to the fact that there are very few golf courses which is fair enough. They did keep looking at the terrain and mentioning that you could make a really good '18 hole course here!'. They are not impressed that I kept saying that golf should be kept out of the Alps. I dont ride my mountain bike in Portugal! My mum kept falling into snow drifts and almost disappearing. We almost had to make her wear a red hat just in case we lost her.

Dean and his Brother

Dean came back with some lame excuse about his brother owing him money and paying and that was the only reason he was here. Yeh! We believe you. Good to see you again though. Next time leave cannonball Gary at home. Hes gonna injure somebody. Probably not himself but more likely one of us. Hes a nutter.

Tracey & Vincenzo

They have not arrived yet but I have warned our little community that its all gonna get very ugly very quickly! I cant wait.

We have also had a miriad of other 'locals' staying with us. Bonnie came and stayed for a while on her way back to Oz. Good to have you stay and watch you try and read your book. No concentration at all. Steve & Elle & Jasper the cat. Jasper is way more cool than Steve. I thought Steve was chilled ot but the Cat or like some old hippy. We also had the noisiest cat in the world who I almost turned into a hat and glove set.

So the visitors we have had...... Its been great to see all of you, really great. Its also been great to not have people here. Imagine having family and friends living with you all the time. Somedays you just want to sit on the sofa, in your spiderman pants, listening to Queen Latifa on your Ipod and playing air guitar. Not possible when your mums trying to drink her G&T and read a good Mills and Boon novel. She did looked a little shocked to be honest!

Tune in next time for weather, what would we do without it! How would we build snowmen, would it have ever 'rained men' and who was the sunshine of his life!

Dave (Pierre)