20.04.2008 Crashing, the ugly truth!

Samoens Travel Blog

There is a certain solace that can be taken from falls and crashes of any description. It reminds you that you are human. Of flesh and bone nothing more. Just a complex string of cells. No different from any other of Gods creatures apart from the ability to think that we are actually more than we are and want to be more than we are.

That’s the thing that I think sets us apart from any other form of life. Not that we can laugh or communicate or build great bridges or go to the moon but that we consistently want to be more than we are.

Dream team pre pain
An endless need to better ourselves and elevate us above not only all animals but also other humans. Now I know that we are not all the same but we all want to progress. All of us feel the need to progress. To have a bigger house, better TV, more lavish holidays or go faster on a snowboard then the law of physics will allow. Its part of who we are and part of the reason lots of people never really feel the value of the journey more the need to arrive and once they have arrived pack their case and set sail for the next destination.

For some people this need manifests itself in the need to travel. To seek better arrivals and better surroundings. The need for more. I once asked a season traveller what he was running from or where he was running to and he could not answer only stating that running made him happy.

I think every road has romance around the corner especially at night.

incenzo gone camera shy
It’s a beautiful thought. There is an illusion of safety in movement, a half formed idea that our fate cannot find us, that we left them on the doorstep of the place we recently departed. We left no forwarding address and so whilst on rolling wheels, our fate will not find us. Safety in movement. Its an idea. An effective idea that some people believe in. Its an idea that I know of not one that I believe to be true though.

I believe in crashing. Crashing through time, life, forests, snow. Crashing into things. The law of randomness. Crashing out of things. Crashing and careering your way across lifes intriquces. Lots of people and things all crashing into each other as if it was meant to be.

Fate! Not for me thank you. It explains things too nicely.

Long way down

Divine intervention. Are you crazy. Created by people who should know better but don’t.

Karma. A nice idea but not really for me. Too ‘hippy’.

No. Crashing is my new theory. It happens to all of us in 1 sense or another, whether we like it or not we all crash. Some more dramatically than others, some are only small crashes but they are crashes never the less. Its not like these things are going to happen. We make them happen by being reckless. Reckless with anything and everything we do. Reckless with people, property, time, money, feelings, everything.

Which brings me to the end of my season in the French Alps nicely.

Only me!!
We definitely crashed into this season without knowing what to expect. What would happen and where it would lead. I, personally, crashed a lot this season. Physically, mentally and emotionally. The broad range of emotions. At the moment I am just happy to be going home. The romance of travel is not as I thought it would be. There is no safety in movement. Movement hurts especially if that what your doing quickly when you crash. Yesterday was my last day of snowboarding and in true style I finished the last run of the day with a most spectacular crash. Biggest of the season by far. Full speed, spine bending, leg jarring, neck whipping wipe out. Awesome. When I finally came to a halt I thought I was surely dead or worse still no one had seen my daredevil fall. Thank fully I wasn’t and even more pleasing 3 friends saw me take the pasting of a lifetime. They were stoked that I was alive and in awe that all my limbs were still in full working order.

Crashing hey! Just reminds me that I am only skin and bone.

Samoens