My heart beats for...Laos :)

Vang Vieng Travel Blog

DAY 1

6 hours blabbing on over beers and 7 hours of a goodnight's sleep on a train. 1 hour powering through hassles. 5 hours incessantly starving on the dusty road.

A total of 19 hours exhaustion melted away as soon as I set foot in Vang Vieng. Oh, I was in love again... :)

So according to my travel journal, we have arrived at exactly 16:18 already itching to take a shower more than wolfing down food. After finding out that Babylon Guesthouse was already full, we had to look for another one and wind up at Malany Guesthouse. It has the first six letters of my last name so I won't forget that. :)

The first thing we did after freshening up was to get our money changed and rent some bikes.
JT (the white monkey.haha) and I
Wayne got the pink one (haha)...for me and red for himself. :) It would make roaming around a lot easier and you're not cool if you don't have one. I actually intended to rent a moped, but Wayne told me they don't rent it out to tourists anymore. Right after eating, we booked a daytour (includes trekking,kayaking,village tour and hearty lunch) for the next day for 90,000 kip and that's about 11usd. Wow! I could never get used to handling this much money - I always get confused whenever I have to pay! hahaha! :P I feel like a millionaire here! :P

Then we went to this bar by the river which we initially thought was called Smile Bar. :P Wayne's reminiscing commenced as he recalled his pretty funny moments in Laos during his visit last year while we downed our beers.
At the Ooh La La bar
Oh today, I found out that Wayne does knocking down drinks for a living. He spilled my beer over! Haha! After a while, the owner started turning the lights off at every hut which gave us the hint that they're closing down. Haha! I couldn't remember if we still went to get something to eat before we
swung by this bar called Ooh La La and decided to have a few drinks and weird concoctions invented by the weirdos themselves (us), of course. :) Kamikaze+m150+Beer Lao= Perfection! Haha! With the alcohol acting up, I started making fun of Wayne by asking around some Lao people at the bar how to say some mean stuff in Lao.hahaha! :P And this was when our love for art and vandalism blossomed so we started doodling all over each other's arms with all nonsensical stuff! hahaha! (Wayne, jao ngo lai! hahahahaha! Now you should say, khob chai.
the guys in my blurry eyes :P
hahaha!) Hilarious! :P Ohh, I know I am such a bully!

Still thinking it was too early to go back to our hostel,we went back to this river bar we first went to and "followed the light" from afar, or shall I say fire?! Haha! Wayne grabbed me by the wrist and said, let's go there. I said where then he pointed to somewhere across the bridge. So we crossed the bridge with our unfinished beers and ended up circled around the bonfire with a group of people from everywhere. In short, we gatecrashed. hahaha! And in the end, the Israeli guy Abachim and Joey from Canada eventually gave up on us sometime between 3 and 4am. Haha! Yeah, traveling for almost 24hours and getting minimum rest, you couldn't believe we have so much energy running through our veins, huh? :P So we said adios to those people and to the first glorious day in Vang Vieng.

*shuts eyes*

Oh hang on, I remember I have to set my alarm at 8am! Daytour starts at 9am the next day! hahaha! :P

DAY 2

Sarjiphonialarmophobia - an abnormal fear or dread of Sarj's recurring phone alarm every 9 minutes, said to be disruptive of a deep slumber, of which the main symptoms are, a sense of irritability, causing difficulty in recognizing familiar surroundings and adjusting to normal circadian rhythm, and a marked heightening of reflex excitability, producing convulsions whenever the patient attempts to get up from bed, or is disturbed in any way, as by the sight of a person named Sarj setting her alarm at night and holding it up to your face early in the morning.

(Whew! How's that for a definition?!)

On this day, Wayne had developed sarjiphonialarmophobia and there was nothing I could do but to sympathize with him.
our company
But there's no better way to combat your fear besides to will yourself to face it every single day, right?! Haha!

Just because both of us didn't want to get left behind, we made an effort to get there on time despite the lack of sleep. We didn't get a chance to grab breakfast this time, just water to fill our stomachs with. hehe. Wayne was proud that he was able to wake up and I had to congratulate him for the first time. haha! We waited for a couple of minutes before our service multicab arrived along with other travellers who would join us on the daytour. :)

So the vehicle was packed and Wayne and Lilli's husband Eero have to stand (or did you sit?) on the edge of the entrance and get a tight grip on the bars..but they were able to sit down after a while.
the professional photographer.hahaha!
And as you all know, being a girl has its advantages and disadvantages. I got to share the passenger seat with Lilli while the guys were getting grilled at the back (haha) and those were the times that I was thankful I was a girl.

After walking through the elephant cave and villages, everybody was already excited for spelunking with their tubes...except for me - because I had to keep up with my dysmenorrhoea and the worry that I might turn the river into red sea! wahhh! And one more thing, you can't get into the cave without tubing your way in because it's mega-enclosed with totally nothing to step on but water except when you had to cross this other dimension inside. hehehe. :P I was actually doing okay, well, not really...but I couldn't complain to anyone, especially to Wayne who does all the paddling for me, though I was already feeling sick as we went further in.
before the swinging starts.
I just didn't want to go back and feel sorry for myself so I tried to power through until we reached the end. That was when our tour guide asked everyone to turn off their headlights and I was like, oh no! Didn't I tell anyone that I was semi-claustrophobic?! But everyone obliged, so did I. It was pitch black, I was imagining a serpent coming out of the water murdering every single one of us and I couldn't breathe ANYMORE!!! So I asked, "Could we turn the lights on now?" because I really couldn't see the point (how could I? when it's too dark.hahaha) why we have to do it. And one girl said, "Why? Feeling scared now?" So I said, "yeah, I don't feel good." Seconds later, we turned it on again. At this point, I didn't care what the tour guide was saying. I just wanted to get out of there and the water's freezing me up!

We had our lunch after that tedious thing and I should say that I would have appreciated it more if I wasn't in that condition.
first stage..still scared.hehe
And that's the disadvantage...this was one of those times when I hate being a girl. So after that, we were off to go kayaking and now at the site, I was already feeling as uncomfortable as ever. Before I got into the kayak, I knew I already got a bloody map of the world on my bum! Haha! Wayne kept telling me it looked okay, but I know he was just being nice. haha! BUt since we have already gone this far, the show must go on! hahahah! I have decided that none of this should and would spoil the fun! So we went rowing and every bar we see by the river, we badly wish to dive into the water, leave the kayak and grab a few beers. But the thing is, we could only stop at the last bar to rest. Wahhh!

As we reached the last bar, we watched  and got a good laugh as a couple of swingers do the doubles plus the combo spins and flips then falling into shallow waters head first.
oh, who the hell was that guy in the background?! lol!
hahaha! :P And of course, we're in the company of cold beers and cool new found friends. Chilled out a bit until we have to get back to rowing again.:)

On our way back to the hostel, our NFF (new found friends) asked us to go tubing with them the next day and have dinner and drinks a little later tonight. So since I haven't done any decent tubing except for the experience in the cave earlier, I told Wayne that we could try to change the dates on our tickets and leave on the 16th instead of the 15th. In short, I decided to extend another day to go tubing! I wouldn't want to leave Vang Vieng without memories of tubing my way down the river. :P We didn't have any problem sorting it out so we were able to change it right away. ;)

Wayne shaved his head...err, hair off today.
:) :( :)
I did the back part! haha! :P I coaxed him into doing it and it wasn't hard to convince him, really! haha. :P He was like, "What do you reckon Sarj? Should I really shave it off?" and I said, "Yeah, just do it!" and he did without further ado. hehe :P

So we went out for dinner sporting his new look and looked for our friends in all possible bars they might be in until we settled at the Smile Bar - and they're still nowhere to be found. Oh anyway, we just carried on with drinking vodka buckets and all other sort of cocktails. That vodka bucket really tasted weird and I felt weird, like my head was up in the clouds, at the first sip but downed the whole thing anyway. But I knew something was dropped in there, really! Wayne's bucket tasted different from mine.

Sooo.
the suspicious alcohol!
..we got to talking to several random people - most of them were from England! Hahaha! So Wayne seemed to feel more at home. :P

Then I can remember...

...ordering more cocktails, bar hopping, taking pictures, arm wrestling, being knocked down onto the rocks a few times...

I don't have any memory of crossing the bridge and climbing up the stairs and walking down to the main road.

But I regained my consciousness when the smell of choco banana pancake wafted in the air. :D And when I tasted it, its delectable taste put a smile across my face until I went to bed and fell asleep...well, at least that's what I thought. hehe :)

Last glimpse on my phone's clock, 4:15am. (my travel journal is full of time stamps.haha!)

It had been a long day, indeed.
funny faces! heheh :D
:) It would have been longer if I could remember everything though.hehe :) Blame it on the vodka buckets!

But one thing to be thankful for: We didn't have to wake up early the next day...ahh! what a relief! Now Wayne could have a rest with my phone alarm. LOL! :)

Day 3

Our day started around past 1 in the afternoon when Wayne finally rose from bed. Truth be told, my day started earlier, as usual. As the clock stikes 8am, I got a message from my Mom asking me - "So you really think Laos is the best, huh?" and I checked my sent items' folder and found out that apparently, I sent a message to her under the influence of alcohol. hehehe :P Well, I just told her how much I love the place, that's it. :) And I didn't say that just because I was drunk but it's because I was having a ridiculosly good time and I just wanted them to know that it's not all bad news everytime I send them a message.
how's my new stick-on tattoo?:P
:P No emergency calls or whatsoever this time, relax. :D

So we went to meet the people who were in the group with us on that daytour and those who convinced us to stay one more day to go..TUBING! :D Okay, we weren't actually hoping to see them there as they might probably have gone off earlier because we came a little later than the agreed time. But well, we found some of the gang - Scott and his girlfriend Andrea plus Lilli waiting around for more tubers to fill up the multicab. Lilli's husband Eero couldn't come with us because of bad hungover. Aww, too bad. So there's only 5 of us.

Now floating down the river and most of us were already feeling hungry so we stopped at the first bar by the river and had Beer Lao for breakfast because that's the only thing they serve there! Then onto the next bar and the next then finally got some food to eat.
first stop and grabbing beer for breakfast! hahaha!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the bar was called Cheers bar?! It was the coolest bar there aside from the last bar where they only play cool music - an assortment of ballads, sentimental songs (eg. My Heart Will Go On - Wayne's fave), pop, alternative and rock music. Almost always and unexpectedly, shifting from one music genre to another just to make people cringe or go crazy. hehe :D It's all full of surprises, you couldn't predict what's going to blast on next. hahaha! :)

After Cheers bar, we're now off to the last one but I was just too damn sleepy. Must be the beers and vodka bucket, I don't know! There's one thing you ought to know though, production of melatonin in my system increases as I stuff my tummy with food. By the time I finish eating, I'd have too much of that chemical that just makes it hard for me to stay up and alert.
Me, Lilli and Scott
hehe :) Then add some sleep-inducing components such as alcohol and great weather in the combo. hahaha. Okay, so enough of that. What I am just trying to say is that, I almost fell asleep while floating on my tube and Wayne and the gang were already miles away. So being the man full of chivalry (haha! you wish!), Wayne came to my rescue and showed everyone his masterful swimming skills to come get me. Haha! I tell you, everyone was wondering what he's doing. He didn't swim all the way because he had to walk over sharp and jagged stones in shallow parts. heheh :D When I saw him nearing, he was like.."You are rubbish!" smiling but with crunched eyebrows and I was like, "I didn't scream out for you to save me!" laughing at ourselves as everyone turns to us somewhat getting a clue why he had to save me.
tired tubers :D
hahaha! And I just kept telling him that tubing was supposed to make you feel relaxed and not stressed out paddling hard to get to your ultimate destination - which is THE BAR. :D And really, I was just feeling knackered! But because he made so much effort "rescuing" me, I paddled with all my remaining ounce of strength as ordered while he helps me move faster by pushing me off for every moment my arms start slacking off. :D

Finally, we're now at the last bar and when I got off my tube, guess what?! I got scratches on my arms because of tooo much paddling! (I've got evidence!) The tube I was on has a rough surface, apparently. So it's like sandpaper rubbed against a baby soft skin. hahaha! Bit of an exaggeration, yeah but you know what I mean. Anyway, we stayed there until an hour after sundown.
Enjoy your THRIP!:D
Got a few rounds of this bacardi+lime+rum+coke thing and Wayne had some...hmm, i-will-get-whatever-you-are-having-duck drink. haha. Then we found a marker pen and that's when the "body doodling" began. Haha. And I wrote something like, "I am so gay blah blah blah" on Wayne's back and showed it to everyone then this one guy read it aloud and burst out laughing uncontrollably, halted to catch his breath and said..."Oh he's gay?! Me too!!" hahaha. So Wayne had to cover it up with his shirt. Hmph! :P

LOL! Remembering all these things is just making me go crazy with laughter. :P

Darkness fell upon us and after finishing the last song which all of us couldn't miss (it's Radiohead's Just, by the way), we all agreed to go tubing on our way back in the dark without anyone of us knowing how long it would take!! haha! :P And all the other blokes there were like, "Hey guys! are you tubing it to the end?!" We just nodded and two of them jumped into their tubes and floated.
Andrea and Scott before we met.:P
But glad there's this persistent guy asking us if we wanted to rent his boat for 10,000 kips each and because I was the slowest tuber in the history, I was the first one who gave in. And boy! It took us almost 20 minutes ON THE BOAT to get to the drop off point. Hahaha! All of us were thankful that we made the right decision but feeling sorry for those guys who would take forever  to get there. Haha! They'd probably get rescued anyway. lol!

We met up with the gang again for dinner at Ooh La La Bar and our food got served after light years of waiting. It was delicious, by the way! So I couldn't complain. :P Met some people here and there . A lot. A manifold of countless faces - that I could only remember some of the names we've met a day ago...err, not even! There were people who would waved at us or just come up to me and tell me we've met a day or days ago but I couldn't remember! :P That's how random you bump into these people.
tubers tubers...
hehehe :P And that's the coolest thing, methinks! :P Each person you meet has their own story to tell or to sell. So there's no single minute that I didn't talk (and it gave me sore throat in the morning) Haha! :P

After Ooh La La, we went to Smile Bar, Sunset Bar then to Spider Bar where there's only the two of us again. And because I was seated at the bar, some people who order drinks give me complimentary shots and buckets which I also give away or pass around. Nobody would say no to free drinks, as what everyone said. Now, that's the second coolest thing! hehe :P If you are a girl, I suppose. LOL!

Stopping by to buy choco banana pancake (we're already addicted to it at this point) on our way back to the hostel, we saw Joey (the one we sat by the fire with on our first day) with some guys.
what was I doing?! [photo credits: Wayne]
Wayne mingled with them as I waited for my pancake. Then Tash, the 2-meter tall dutch guy, came into the picture and all of us talked and walked in search for somewhere we could settle in. So we took a seat at the side of the road - Wayne talking with Joey and me talking with Tash. We spent hours with Tash mainly giving pop quizzes about himself just to check if I could remember what he said. Funny thing was, I remember most details about him except for the most basic...his name and his nationality. LOL! He had to repeat his name over 10 times before it sticks in my head. So he said, "I give up, never going to work." Haha! I know I'm terrible with names! So he stood up first and the rest of us decided to get some shut-eye. :D

*to be continued and more pictures to come*
bashmentbabe says:
great blog :)
Posted on: Mar 24, 2009
darlingwish says:
wag ka magalala understanding si tatay, at lasenggo dn! bwahahaha san kaya ako nagmana eh kapatid ko at nanay, lola, tita, mga tito, kaptibahay puro lasenggero ako hinde nyahahah! ^^ malapit na daw.
Posted on: Apr 25, 2008
kickasstunner says:
hahaha! kaya naman pala malapit ka sakanya kasi naaalala mo tatay mo :P hehe. oopps, *rest in peace* po. baka ako multuhin dahil binebenta kita. hehe
Posted on: Apr 24, 2008
the professional photographer.haha…
the professional photographer.hah…
first stage..still scared.hehe
oh, who the hell was that guy in t…
oh, who the hell was that guy in …
funny faces! heheh :D
hows my new stick-on tattoo?:P
how's my new stick-on tattoo?:P
first stop and grabbing beer for b…
first stop and grabbing beer for …
tubers tubers...
what was I doing?! [photo credits:…
what was I doing?! [photo credits…
Malany Guesthouse
Malany Guesthouse
My banana coffee. :D yummy!
My banana coffee. :D yummy!
Beer Lao and I
Beer Lao and I
JT and Wayne
JT and Wayne
gotta love the green beer! hehehe …
gotta love the green beer! hehehe…
Wayne on the road
Wayne on the road
Wayne and I by the river bar.
Wayne and I by the river bar.
our lovely bikes!
our lovely bikes!
DRINGKSSSSS! hahahaha!
DRINGKSSSSS! hahahaha!
dont we look cute together?:D
don't we look cute together?:D
wading by the river with piss in i…
wading by the river with piss in …
the guys in the next hut were anno…
the guys in the next hut were ann…
Wayne playing with JT
Wayne playing with JT
addict on the hammock
addict on the hammock
Abachim and I [photo credits: Wayn…
Abachim and I [photo credits: Way…
slightly cleared now
slightly cleared now
the Israeli guy who thought I was …
the Israeli guy who thought I was…
the boys again
the boys again
the rabid monkey! haha!
the rabid monkey! haha!
the village
the village
Hmm?!
Hmm?!
Me and Wayne at the last bar..at l…
Me and Wayne at the last bar..at …
Lilli and Wayne blabbing on.:P
Lilli and Wayne blabbing on.:P
the idiot with a foil on her foreh…
the idiot with a foil on her fore…
hows my hair? lovely? lol!
how's my hair? lovely? lol!
lake placid! ahaha!
lake placid! ahaha!
where is this?
where is this?
yo rasta man!
yo rasta man!
guy playing with the ducks
guy playing with the ducks
smack that serious look off his fa…
smack that serious look off his f…
just compare our colors now after …
just compare our colors now after…
i love this pic I dunno why :D
i love this pic I dunno why :D
the photographer at work.hahaha!
the photographer at work.hahaha!
I am not walking beside that weird…
I am not walking beside that weir…
look how scared he is!
look how scared he is!
almost done!
almost done!
cheers mate!
cheers mate!
you tell the story behind this pic…
you tell the story behind this pi…
at the ever crowded smile bar
at the ever crowded smile bar
the weirdest tasting vodka bucket
the weirdest tasting vodka bucket
going home..they are.
going home..they are.
what are you doing with two bottle…
what are you doing with two bottl…
Wayne was pissed because hes bein…
Wayne was pissed because he's bei…
Wayne with the improvised spear to…
Wayne with the improvised spear t…
haha. wayne the slave. :P
haha. wayne the slave. :P
:D
:D
:( :)
:( :)
Lilli trying to gulp it down
Lilli trying to gulp it down
now this is my brunch...tuna san…
now this is my "brunch"...tuna sa…
Ooohh, theres Spiderman!
me :D
chilling!
chilling!
good?
good?
thats it!
that's it!
wayne doing his lighter trick :P
wayne doing his lighter trick :P
What are you doing?
What are you doing?
Reasonably drunk.
Reasonably drunk.
would love to chill out at the Spi…
would love to chill out at the Sp…
Scott and the gf
Scott and the gf
okay, now I remember the name of t…
okay, now I remember the name of …
Uhuh!:P
Uhuh!:P
so my skin turned into a graffiti …
so my skin turned into a graffiti…
Me and Sam (the girl that rants ab…
Me and Sam (the girl that rants a…
The Irish DJs name is Martin. :P
The Irish DJ's name is Martin. :P
this isnt your arm Wayne! My leg …
this isn't your arm Wayne! My leg…
Vang Vieng