AsiaVietnamHanoi

The Poshiest Things in Life Are Cheap

Hanoi Travel Blog

Day 1

Arriving in Hanoi, we decided to hop on a van instead of a taxi to get to the city just because it costs so much less. USD 2 each for a van and USD 16 or more for a taxi. So which one would you go for? Haha! No question about that! Okay so as we get closer to the city, the roads get crazier and crazier with reckless motorists everywhere...then the van stopped and told us that that's where we should get off. What?! We couldn't see any landmarks mentioned on wikitravel print outs yet! But well, whatever we'll find our way but first, they have to give me my one dollar change. hahha! After a few times of asking for it, Wayne told me I should just leave it. Haha. But he was the one who told me that I should look fierce and never trust anyone.
So I was just being harsh and scrimpy. hehehe :P

We randomly chose a guesthouse from the print out and started looking for it. We didn't even bother to get a ride to that place since we were certain we're going the right way - it's near Hoan Kiem Lake and there's the lake to our left and then St. Joseph's church and it's just straight ahead...then we found the street and a few randoms confirmed it was the right one but after a few times walking up and down that street, we still couldn't find door number 48!! Yeah! I won't ever forget that number! hahaha! :P Funny thing was, there's number 45, 46...49, 50 and so on. 47 and 48 were the ones missing! Wahh! So we even went inside this compound hoping that it's hidden somewhere the sketchy neighborhood! lol! Eventually, we gave up and ate something at Ciao Cafe first (the meal brought my appetite back!)before we found ourselves a place for the night at Trang Tieng Hotel.
:D
Well, it was nice except for the bathroom knob that came off. Haha!:) Hmm, we wandered around the lake and took tons of pictures then remembered to book for a Halong bay tour for the next day. We initially thought about spending a night on a junk boat but since we don't see any point in shedding off almost twice as much for a daytour, we ditched the 2d/1n idea and went for the 25usd daytour which starts at 8:30pm.

Well, it was the longest day ever so we badly needed a rest...but just like any other day with Wayne, we couldn't let it end without at least having a beer or two. Haha! :D

argh, the holocaust! :P