Last Day

Oahu Travel Blog

On our last day, we just took it easy and drove around parts of O'ahu we had not yet seen.  We walked to downtown Waikiki to eat lunch at Puka Dog.  I had seen Puka Dog shown on the Food Network and the Travel Channel, so I had to check it out.  It's actually from Kaua'i, and I saw it there, but it was between meals.  When I saw it in Kaua'i, they had a sign that said "Now open in Waikiki".  So I had to find it and check it out.  They take a bun before it is split and "drill" a hole down the middle.  Then they insert the dog and the toppings and heat it all together.  It is unbelievable how good it is.  You wouldn't think the combinations would work so well, but they do in my opinion.  You choose your garlic sauce, your tropical fruit relish, and your mustard.  I had jalapeno-garlic sauce, coconut relish and mango relish, and lilikoi (passion fruit) mustard.  It was so good that I would like to try to replicate the recipe.

Then we drove all the way over to the western side.  Not many tourists make it to this side, and most of the inhabitants are pure Hawaiian.  There were some pretty beaches and mountains, but also a lot of traffic and lights.  The road doesn't make it all the way around, so we had to double back.  Then we drove to around to the most western point you can drive to on the north side.  This area was very quiet and sparsely populated.  We passed an airstrip where many sailplanes were taking off and landing.  You could see many of them in the air gliding around at the same time.  I would have liked to have tried that if we had the time.  Before heading back to the airport, we stopped for dinner one more time in Hale'iwa.  This time we ate a popular Mexican restaurant called Cholo's.  We had a very good meal there, but were again amused by seeing chickens entering and walking around the restaurant floor with no one minding like it was an everyday occurrence.

The flight home was a red eye, and I was very fortunate to sleep for about 7 1/2 hours straight.  That made the 9 1/2 hour flight feel very short.  I came back home feeling very refreshed.  It was a wonderful, stress-free 9 days in paradise!

1,297 km (806 miles) traveled